Towing with lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
Hi Guys just returned from my vacation towing my caravan, Question has anyone towed with a 2" lift kit fitted, if so what are the pros. and cons.
my removable brink hitch seem a little low see pic. The nose weight ( tongue weight )of van is correct. If it's not a problem towing with a kit I can convince the wife let me get one, no seriously if there any problems towing can you let me know many thanks Mark kopkrab.gif

Attachments

• SDIM0740.jpg
    SDIM0740.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 48

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hi Guys just returned from my vacation towing my caravan, Question has anyone towed with a 2" lift kit fitted, if so what are the pros. and cons.
my removable brink hitch seem a little low see pic. The nose weight ( tongue weight )of van is correct. If it's not a problem towing with a kit I can convince the wife let me get one, no seriously if there any problems towing can you let me know many thanks Mark kopkrab.gif

I have yet to tow anything now that our Jeep is lifted. But I did plan ahead and buy a height adjustable receiver insert so that I can have the trailer ball at the height I need depending on the trailer I am pulling.
This one:
http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Adjustable_Ball_Mount,RM880
So I don't see it being a problem.
Incidentally, my wife Jen and I are in the market for a travel trailer ourselves.
Something along the lines in the 19 too 22 foot length and a maximum of 3500-3800 pounds.
What length and weight is your "Caravan"?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get an adjustable ball mount...so that when end up SFA'ing it..... :D

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, i would be worried about towing that thing with my V8 Tahoe, let alone a Liberty, that's a long trailer for a short WB tow vehicle. If you have a WDH on it, there is no reason for it to be dipped down like that, stock or lifted.

Mark

Reaction score
U.k. Caravan,trailer hitch height

Thanks guys I will look on the brink hitch website to see if I can get a hitch lift, as to the length of the caravan iincluding a frame is 26'4" internal is 20'10" by 7'4" max. permissable laden weigt is 35.5 cwt/1792 kg the nose weight of this van should be and is 100kg, limit on Liberty 140kg. the van to tow vehicle ratio in the uk to be legal is 85% of the tow car gross weight within that, ( the 2.8 diesels quoted gross trailer weight is 3360kg or 7407lbs) lots of low down grunt being a diesil, You guys are lucky, over here this is a long wheelbase.it tows just fine as UNITED KINGDOM tow coupling have anti snake heads fitted, but the towball is low even on my car transport trailer realy like to know how things tow with a lift kit tho. . many thanks Mark :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, i would be worried about towing that thing with my V8 Tahoe

I would be worried about towing anything with a chevy. ;)

Do you already have a weight distributing hitch? It seems to be handling the load fairly well.

If you got something along the lines of OME HD springs then it should actually tow better as far as sagging and handling goes.

Also, you say it has a 100kg tongue weight, thats only 220lbs which is well under the max load for the kj unless its different over there. Max tongue weight here is 750lbs or 340kg.

Last edited:

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my friends 20' car trailer with his diesel John Deere tractor on it and he used my KJ to move it and he was surprised bc it didnt sag as much as it does on his 1500 HD Chevy, but I had OME HD and Ive towed a CJ7 on the same trailer with the KJ with no problems and I only used the hitch and loaded the trailer very careful

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see close up picks of that hitch set up, it may just need re-adjusted.

My Tahoe is a little weak in the butt, I think it's cause GM made them to be "family"- softer riding vehicles. I have no worries with 70-80# of air in the helper bags! (biggthumpup), load 'er up!!!!:D