Towing with Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckle823

Reaction score
The Jeep tow guide is confusing:

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/TowingGuide.jsp

My question is does a 4X4 Liberty with a 3.7 and the tow package have a 5,000 lb towing capacity? Also, is this a rare set-up? I have barely seen any Liberty's with the tow package installed from the factory. What am I missing? Thanks.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not letting me choose 4x4, 3.7, 4spd.

Jeep Site said:
Changed:
Limited To Sport Special Edition,
2.8-Liter Turbo Diesel Engine Package To 3.7-Liter V6 Engine and
5-Speed Automatic 545RFE Transmission To 4-Spd. Automatic 42RLE Transmission
to work with your selection
^ why? That's not what I have.. :-k

buckle823

Reaction score
liberty towing

Same here. Does that mean you have to have a CRD in order to have 4X4, and be able to tow 5,000 lbs?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
it is rated to tow 5k, w/ the proper hitch, bigger cooling fan, wiring harness, and ****** cooler (and maybe power steering cooler)

I think u have to special order the tow package..or something. not sure....
i've seen a few w/ the tow package

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what can we tow out of factory on an LTD 4x4 4spd?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
w/o the tow package.....(given that you have a class III hitch)
u can tow up that much..(tho not recommended) and on a VEEEERY short trip..like around the block..or something

w/o the proper cooling or what not......i probably wouldnt even attempt to tow...

TopDog

Reaction score
"With Trailer Tow Group and 3.73 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 5000 lbs"

FWIW, I just got my CRD Liberty this past Friday night. As the dealer didn't have a new one to sell, I had them perform queries to dealers within a 150 mile radius to find a Liberty that best matched my must-haves. Many were available with CRD and factory tow pkg.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4x4 liberty's come with the coolers stock, tow package or not you can tow 5000lbs when you add a hitch and brake controller.
The only thing added for a 4x4 liberty when it comes stock with the tow package is the hitch , wiring for the trailer (7pin) and a little red wire hidden inside above the drivers side fenderwell.
I tow RV's all the time to shows and back and when I go camping (I reccomend the Equalizer system if your going to tow more than 3000 lbs with it though)
The liberty is more than capable of towing long distances, if done safely and correctly.
My advice is rent something simular to what you think you want to tow around and see how it does.
Dont let those who offer their guesses (Aeh) opinions deter you when they have never towed anything with their KJ.
Plus your 4x4 should have a High Trans Temp light that would let you know if you get to hot (which you will not if you follow the set capacity of 5000lbs.
If people can tow 9 - 10K pounds with a 06 F150
I feel confident about the Libby pulling 5 drive.gif

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glaurick said:
The only thing added for a 4x4 liberty when it comes stock with the tow package is the hitch , wiring for the trailer (7pin) and a little red wire hidden inside above the drivers side fenderwell.

edit: Humor Removed

Latest posts

Members online