Towing Upgrades - 05 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
So, my future in laws may be giving me their popup camper for free. It's going to be in rough condition as they haven't opened it in many years, but me and my friends are going to make it a project and do a complete overhaul of it. My future in laws live about 400 miles away, so I'm going to need to drive out there and pick it up and tow it back to my place. My Jeep doesn't have the factory tow package on it, no lift kit, and I'm running tires of 245/70/16. From what I've read, the KJ's max tow capacity is about 3,500 pounds without the tow package, and the popup is less than 3,500 pounds. I'll also be driving the trailer up and down plenty of hills and mountains, so I want to make sure I don't cook or overheat my engine or transmission. Should I be worried about overheating the engine or transmission while towing? Would the upgraded PML transmission pan and the heavy duty engine cooling fan be worthwhile upgrades for this?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much you'll be towing. I honestly think one of the biggest things is good brakes. In my state, they couldn't careless, but you need to check the laws in your area to see if they are required. If the camper is small (1,000lbs?), you don't really need them. My popup weighs over 3,000lbs when loaded and if it didn't have brakes, my liberty would not stop it in a panic stop. I've had one semi-panic stop and was very thankful I have good trailer brakes and a good brake controller.

How much you need to prep the Jeep depends on the campers weight. Again, my camper weighs a bit over 3,000lbs loaded (I've had it on a scale) and Im glad Ive added the HD cooling and the PML pan. I've towed up some decent hills in near 100F heat with zero issues. I think 2,500' is the highest I've been. The biggest game changer was 4.10 gears, but I imagine you wont be doing that.

Air bags in the rear coils really keep the Jeep from bouncing/sagging. I also added sway control to my camper and it makes the Jeep very stable. It was white knuckle over 70mph previously, now I can do whatever I want. My camper is a rather large popup though.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Does the popup have brakes? Mine did and I had a local shop add the 7 pin brake controller to take full advantage of having them back there! Makes a huge difference in controllability.

I had a 2006 Starcraft that weighed near 3k pounds loaded, save for water tanks empty. Our usual campgrounds were state parks and military base campgrounds with full utilities available.

I’d recommend taking a trip to inspect the camper opened up. Soft floorboards, broken lift mechanism, bad canvas or a bad roof can easily blow a repair budget quickly. A canvas kit can easily reach $2000!

Last edited:

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would find out what it weighs exactly or roughly. Then think a bit more.

I would also find out what size tires/wheels/bolt pattern it is. You may want to pick up new tires on wheels to take with you to go get it. If it hasn't been even opened in years, it's likely the tires are dry rotted and won't make the trip without a blowout.

I moved my daughter 525 miles with a 6x12 enclosed. I did not even entertain the use of my Jeep for a second. It does OK with whatever I put on my 6x10 open trailer, plus 4 people and gear. But I've never been over say 3 hrs one way with ATV's or beyond local with a load of mulch or 1200 lb mower.

After getting out on the road with the enclosed, I am glad of that decision. I used a Tahoe with the towing package and I knew it was back there the whole way out. Coming back though, I realized it was not so much the weight in this case, but the wind drag even though it was a V-nose. That may be a non-issue for you though if it's not a big pop-up. The old style little square ones I am thinking of shouldn't have much more wind drag than an open trailer with closed sides.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6X10 enclosed trailer that I have towed from Northwest Ohio to Boston Mass 3 times , loaded to the gills at least one way each time
Then loaded it to move my nephew from Marietta Ohio to Orlando FL
That was with the 04 , lifted, larger tires etc
Never a hiccup
Just use the OD punched off and send it
On the pop up the older ones have a lot of wood so heavier and yes need the brakes if working

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, open trailer seems to sail along fine. Depends on rather or not it has a ramp gate and how it's made. Again, not the weight, it's the air drag at interstate speed. A heavy duty mesh gate is like pulling a wall down the road at speed. I guess after a certain speed the aerodynamics are about the same as solid.

Anyways, I was really amazed at the V-nose enclosed. I really expected my empty return trip to be much better without the weight and the hill climbs coming from NC to TN to KY to IN. Basically empty downhill return from IN felt the same. Air drag. I wish I could have hooked it up to the Jeep when I got back for a test tow to direct compare open to enclosed and V-8 Tahoe to V-6 Jeep. But I assume it would have made me unhappy?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is a significant difference towing my popup with my Liberty compared to my ZJ with the 5.2. I've only towed a small bit with the 5.2, but it will pull it right up a hill with no sweat. The 3.7 just doesnt make good low end torque. I will say, I do notice a difference towing with 93 compared to 87. Since I dont drive my KJ much, Ive been keeping 93 in it. Actually has 93 ethanol free in it right now.

So yes, you would be unhappy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had any issues with towing an enclosed
my 6 x 10 does great behind any of my 3 KJs
Going across Pa lenghth wise there are a ton of hills , just run with OD off and go
Plus anyone who has come from say NC state line through VA , WVA knows there are big hills
With the 03 last trip as you come out of NC heading north, the mountain there I topped the hill at 65 without pushing it
Sure there is some drag , and sure something with a V* maybe better , but it can be done without any issues
As a matter of fact getting ready to head down to Winston Salem NC on that route with the 6X10 enclosed in a week

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.