towing a 18 ft. fun finder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baubalu

Reaction score
This is my first post, so please bear with me. I've read so many conflicting post on towing with a liberty that I need some advise from people out there who actually tow a travel trailer with a 04 Liberty. I'm looking at a 18ft. light weight TT 2300 lbs. Unloaded. It's 8 1/2 ft. tall. I'm getting better tires, drawtite hitch class 3. A prodigy brake controler, sway bar and anything else I can get to make this a safe tow. I plan on towing all over U. S. and yeah I know I'll have trouble in the hilly area's. Would like to here from people who have towed aTT with their Libby.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have that much problems. The hills will slow you down a little but, but I usually just take it out of OD and let it go like it wants to up teh hill. I have had up to 4200 lbs on the back of my liberty, and didn't have any problems towing with it, or stopping at all. I am not sure if the 04's have the trans cooler like the 05's do, but if yours doesn't that might be the only thing you would want to add, since your planning on doing a lot of towing.

Good luck and have fun

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a friends car (Toyota Corolla) from New Orleans to Nashville with one of those car carriers from UHaul. Most of the time I didn't really feel the car behind me but a couple of times I didn't anticipate a hilly part and lagged a little.

I do have the towing package though which I'm sure helped.

Baubalu

Reaction score
Still need help.

Thanks for the info, but........I still need to hear from people who have towed a travel trailer some distance with the Libby,one around 81/2 ft. tall 8 ft. wide and 20ft. long, and weight around 2300 lbs. unloaded or 3500lbs. loaded. Thanks. Baubalu

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will do just fine dude. I know you want to hear from people thats done it, but ive read about alot of people thats done it. If you get the anti sway and WD setup, a good brakes controller, and I trailer with good brakes, you will be just fine. The hills may get alittle slow but thats normal unless your not towing much or have a diesel.. 8-[

Anytime you find it hard to keep highway speed, do not let the ****** downshift and upshift. This is a good way to kill the ******. Always lock O/D out when it does this to keep it cool and happy.

Latest posts

Members online