Tow Job.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dklassen

Reaction score
Though I'd toss up a pic of the 6x10 I just bought. Pulling it from CA to TN with the Libby. It's about 1100# dry and I'll probably add another 1250 # for the tip. So far I've pulled it with my 500 # motorcycle in it and it seemed right at home.

You must be registered for see images

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a really nice trailer. The KJ should pull that just fine. Take it easy on the road and watch your following distance and you will be fine. When you get to any hills lock out O/D to keep the ****** cool.

Dave

dklassen

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the trip. Once I get to I40 out of Flagstaff, it's pretty much flat all the way there.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haulin'

I've had no problems pulling with the KJ. I pull an RX-7 on a 16' trailer over the mountain from Asheville, NC to Johnson City, TN. The car and trailer weighed 4800 pounds, which is near the 5000 pound limit. My biggest concern were my brakes coming back down the mountain, but again the KJ proved worthy.

Enjoy I-40 through Oklahoma and Arkansas, it'll make you rethink your idea of "flat".

dklassen

Reaction score
I added the hitch as my Lib doesn't have a tow package. I figure all up I'll be pulling about 2700lbs, maybe a bit more. Given it's been pretty damn hot going through AZ and some other places, do I need to add a larger ****** cooler? I understand they all have ****** coolers but am I going to need more to keep from smoking my ****** going through the desert?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bigger ****** cooler can only help to keep it cooler.

What kinda roads are in AZ? If its all hw cruising with the ****** locked in 3rd(O/D off) then its not REALLY needed but its always a good thing to do.

dklassen

Reaction score
So I'm told that all KJ's have ****** coolers. I sure don't see one. I'm confused.

It's all hw.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing

Careful of that crosswind on I-40, and be careful coming through Oklahoma and Arkansas, you're going to get bounced all over the place. The shorter wheelbase of the Liberty does make it less rough than in my longer, stiffer springed F-250 work truck.

Tennessee has to be the worst part of I-40 as far as traffic goes. Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville are almost always under road construction and they're all full of crazy rednecks that think they're NASCAR drivers. They'll put you into the wall, seriously.

I can make it from Bristol, TN (right on the TN/VA state line) to Bakersfield, CA in 44 hours. I usually split it up into 3 days, 17-17-10.

I try to stay in Holiday Inn Expresses. Those are the only hotels that are always nice, I've never had a problem on I-40, or anywhere for that matter. The other hotel chains seem to be hit and miss when it comes to quality on I-40.

I-40 from Los Angeles to Oklahoma City is Historic Route 66, it turns north at OKC and heads to Chicago. They're are many tourist traps, most of the town along I-40 only exist becuase they have a gas station, a hotel, and something to lure the public in. There's the world's largest prairie dog, and the Cadillac garden, and many more.

The biggest trick is to keep yourself entertained. There isn't much scenery to look at and everything is flat and boring. I highly recommend SIRIUS, some good CD's and some books on tape. I think I'm going to try to relearn Spanish on my next trip. I moved out of Cali when I was 11, 15 years ago, and have forgotten all I knew.

Latest posts

Members online