Tow Hooks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if I can put the Mopar Front Tow Hooks on my 06 Liberty Sport Special Edition. It has a different front bumper than the sport, limited and renegade. Any help/info would greatly be appreciated!

DrDougTheJeepMan

Reaction score
Hey, I'm NEW to this forum, but just got a "65th anniv." KJ 3 weeks ago. There is a score-line on the front bumper on either side where the front tow hooks will protrude (like an upside-down "u" that goes to the bottom of the bumper). The notches are offset from the frame, as the MOPAR tow hooks are also offset when installed. Unfortunately, that means most of the cheaper towhooks out there (JC Whitney, etc.) won't fit our KJ, unless you want a home-made cutout on your front bumper. I'm pretty goot at fabrication & all, but don't trust myself to do it that way.

Another option is a front tow hitch (Reese, Draw-tight) or a front bull bar that rates a high tow strength, as both these options bolt into the same holes as the tow hooks.

Hope my limited experience as a new Jeep owner helped you. 8-[

Canyonero02

Reaction score
What is the best tool to use to make the cut outs? I just installed the rear tow hook and would like to install the fronts on my '05 sport. I dont want it to look choppy.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dremel it and polish it down with a stone bit... That's what I use on all my cuts.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Dremel it and polish it down with a stone bit... That's what I use on all my cuts.

You're pretty brave to go cutting on two 06's. I wouldnt be able to do it. Lol.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canyonero02 said:
What is the best tool to use to make the cut outs? I just installed the rear tow hook and would like to install the fronts on my '05 sport. I dont want it to look choppy.

I used the dremel as well, spiral cut bit to rough it out then sanding drum to finish it up, Im sure a stone would do just about the same, maybe even smoother.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tool to use?

Would a sharp utility knife/blade work to cut off the tabs on the bumper? I noticed the tabs are already scored and I was just going to follow that carefully. I have a 06 Liberty Sport and I'm looking to install the front tow hooks in about 2 weeks.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Another tool to use?

ChiefRudy said:
Would a sharp utility knife/blade work to cut off the tabs on the bumper? I noticed the tabs are already scored and I was just going to follow that carefully. I have a 06 Liberty Sport and I'm looking to install the front tow hooks in about 2 weeks.

You shouldn't have a problem cutting through it with a utility blade. Make sure its a new blade though for best cut and you may want to smooth out any rough edges. A dremel saw would be very easy to use and quick, alongside having more control.

I had to drill holes in my roof when I installed the Tailgate roof visor. Ouch I changed my undies after doing it. I only had it for 3 months brand new.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Another tool to use?

MoladoGuy said:
ChiefRudy said:

You shouldn't have a problem cutting through it with a utility blade. Make sure its a new blade though for best cut and you may want to smooth out any rough edges. A dremel saw would be very easy to use and quick, alongside having more control.

I had to drill holes in my roof when I installed the Tailgate roof visor. Ouch I changed my undies after doing it. I only had it for 3 months brand new.

I know how you’re feeling; My Jeep is new and 4 months old. I do have brand new ultra Sharpe blades I'm going to use. I also have dermal buts its junk and never worked right. Plus time isn't much of a concern to me, long as I get everything installed and looking good. Thanks for the help.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today is the day...

The weather is looking good here today. I think I've decided to installed the tow hooks. Wish me luck on the bumper mod [-o<

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Damage is done

The tow hooks are on! =D> Everything went well. I used a super thin small fine tooth saw blade to remove the tabs and then used a gremal with a sanding tip to clean it up.

65thkj

Reaction score
DrDougTheJeepMan said:
Hey, I'm NEW to this forum, but just got a "65th anniv." KJ 3 weeks ago. There is a score-line on the front bumper on either side where the front tow hooks will protrude (like an upside-down "u" that goes to the bottom of the bumper). The notches are offset from the frame, as the MOPAR tow hooks are also offset when installed. Unfortunately, that means most of the cheaper towhooks out there (JC Whitney, etc.) won't fit our KJ, unless you want a home-made cutout on your front bumper. I'm pretty goot at fabrication & all, but don't trust myself to do it that way.[

So, did you end up cutting for the Mopar ones? I want to get them but don't want to cut my bumper. I have a 65th anniversary edition.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
65thkj,
If you want hooks you're pretty much going the need to remove those two areas noted above. If you space off your hooks to miss the bumper and than use them, the extension you put in for spacing will give the load a mechanical advantage and twist the front frame member/s. You have to have a straight pull and the hook as close the the fastening area a possible. Cut the bumper or tweek your front end when you use them, your choice.

65thkj

Reaction score
I finally got the tow hooks on my liberty. I actually didn't have to cut anythiong. They fit fine, juwst had to slide em in to place. The 655th anniv bumper might make it a little harder to access and put a tow rope on em if I need it but its not bad.

The one problem I did have was getting all of the bolts torqued to 40 ft-lbs. The nuts that go on the U bolt were diffifcult to access and never seemed to get to 40lb-ft. I got them ~30-35lb ft. I did use a little anti-seize on the bolts so maybe that is why? I guess it could have affected torque rating.