tow hook mounts M bolts needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I bought some front tow hooks off of ebay that had bolts with them. However, they are the wrong bolts. I kinda got hosed.

I need the m-bolts and the nut-zert. Now I find out that thye are ONLY available with the kit including the hooks!

Help! Does anyone have a source for the M-bolts??? Or an alternative mounting idea?

Thanks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, that really *****, cant really help u though. I dont believe it uses nut-zerts. Just the m bolt and 3 nuts.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same exact situation, i got the hooks off ebay with no hardware! DANG!! and, i understand that the plastic covering on the bumper has to be removed to access the mounting holes to insert the nuts!! DANG!!!!

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the bumper cover to install the tow hooks on a 2005 model. The mounting holes are in plain sight when you crawl under and look up at the front end.

On 2004 and older models, they recommend to remove the bumper cover to make the job easier, but I was able to mount my wife's without removing the bumper cover at all. You just need flexible fingers and you can reach in there and get the job done.

The only place you are going to find that mounting hardware is a Jeep dealership. Good luck.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you could probably fab something up with a bit of a steel plate and some grade 8 bolts. It would basically be a steel plate with a two holes. However, the bumper will have to come off. It's a pain but not really that big of a deal. I got a set of hooks of factory take off's and they use a mounting system a little different than the m-bolts so I need to take off the bumper.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Hiya Eddo.

The1JFerg came through and is sending me some M-bolts. He was really cool about it. Hopefully the saga of the m-bolts is about to come to an end for me... LOL

Rush345

Reaction score
I just got some from a buddy who installed a bull bar on his KJ anyway his. Hooks were factory mount so they had a flat metal plate with like wheel studs to screw into. So after looking I would say go to Lowes for the J-clip and matching bolt. then in place of the M bolt just use washers and nuts of Grade 8 quality and it shouldn't matter. If your mounting hardeware is solid as in Grade 8 those wont be the failure point to worry about.:) :D :cool:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
there are 2 nuts and a bolt, the bolt goes into a clip nut.
the clip nut can be purchased from a bodyshop ( or parts store for body shop) and the mbolt is really just a modified ubolt. Just go to the hardware store with the proper meausrements and find a ubolt.

thats waht i would do.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could but the bow in the bolt is both functional and for placing it through the holes in the frame. If it is completely squared it may be a bit more of a pain, if still possible, to feed through without access to the inside of that mounting point...so removing the whole fascia.

Members online