Torque Specs for Rear Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanji

Reaction score
Title says it all. I need the torque specs for the rear drive shaft as I just changed the output shaft recently. I tried searching everywhere but it keeps getting confused with the jk and the only number I can come up with 150 but I am not sure if its accurate so can somebody clarify?

Thanks,
Tanji

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many will say it's not recommended, but I've always just tightened them on any vehicle. I've never touched one with a torque wrench. When it feels good and tight, I'm done.

Tanji

Reaction score
I just put locktight on it and just torqued it as much as I could with my wrench. Hoping thats enough.

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put locktight on it and just torqued it as much as I could with my wrench. Hoping thats enough.

Probably way too much, actually. The factory spec is only 13 ft-lbs.

I had to check that three times when reinstalling mine. I had to use my impact wrench to get those buggers out of there.

Tanji

Reaction score
No way... are you sure it's 13? It seemed way too tight to be 13 when I was taking it out...
If thats true then thats insane...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the u-joint strap bolts then not much torque is needed. Don't forget if there was lock-tight on them them before you removed them then the off torque will be way higher since that stuff is glue.

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way... are you sure it's 13? It seemed way too tight to be 13 when I was taking it out...
If thats true then thats insane...

Yep, I said the same thing. Especially because of how big the fasteners are.

But both sources, the factory shop manual and AllData show 13. And 22 ft-lbs for the little guys that hold the front shaft on.