Top spacer plate question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so im going to order my spring and struts from a local shop. my question is what does the top spacer plate consist of do i need to order it from jba? and how do i order just the top plate i cant find it anywhere.

i want to do spring and struts and shocks and put the top spacer plate on the front and leave it at that for now. get wheels and tires sorted out then worry about the clevis lift. does it make sense to do things this way?

Thanks in advance

going with OME 927 and 948 BTW

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off. The liberty does not have struts. The spacer plates add length to the lift. Basically a 3/8 spacer will add 1/3 inch to the lift. They are used to level the lift from either side to side or front to back

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off. The liberty does not have struts. The spacer plates add length to the lift. Basically a 3/8 spacer will add 1/3 inch to the lift. They are used to level the lift from either side to side or front to back

If the liberty does not have struts then why does OME make struts for the liberty?

OME P/N 90009 STRUT

straight from JBA website

Also I know what the spacer plate does. I didnt ask what it does. I dont understand why you even replied to my thread.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A strut is a necessary part of the suspension. A vehicle cannot drive without a strut. AG can drive without the coil over shock although it would squat.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A strut is a necessary part of the suspension. A vehicle cannot drive without a strut. AG can drive without the coil over shock although it would squat.

Honestly. I dont even know what you are talking about at this point. You JUST told me that a liberty does not even have struts. now you are giving me a lesson in how suspensions work.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicles that don't have an upper control arm use struts. The strut is part of the vehicles mechanical suspension and steering system. With out the strut installed the vehicle can not be driven.
A vehicle that has an upper control arm uses a shock to dampen road vibrations. And a separate spring system to give the vehicle lift. (Coil overs shocks, coil springs or torsion bars) But if you remove the shock the vehicle could still be driven and steered.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so im going to order my spring and struts from a local shop. my question is what does the top spacer plate consist of do i need to order it from jba? and how do i order just the top plate i cant find it anywhere.

i want to do spring and struts and shocks and put the top spacer plate on the front and leave it at that for now. get wheels and tires sorted out then worry about the clevis lift. does it make sense to do things this way?

Thanks in advance

going with OME 927 and 948 BTW

just the top plates are under the "front struts for KJ" section in the jba website. No extra rear iso ? they are fairly cheap and easy to put on/ take off

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No.

The spacer from JBA is 1/4" thick which will add 1/2" to the lift. A 3/8" spacer (very hard to find anymore) will add 3/4" to the lift.

Vehicles that don't have an upper control arm use struts. The strut is part of the vehicles mechanical suspension and steering system. With out the strut installed the vehicle can not be driven.
A vehicle that has an upper control arm uses a shock to dampen road vibrations. And a separate spring system to give the vehicle lift. (Coil overs shocks, coil springs or torsion bars) But if you remove the shock the vehicle could still be driven and steered.

This argument has been going on as long as JeepKJ.com has been around. JBA calls them struts, but technically the KJ has coilover shocks. True, due to the upper control arm the front spring/shock combo shouldn't be called a strut but for conversation on here "strut" will suffice :waytogo:

To the OP...That 927/948 combo will treat you right (I have some experience with them :party52: ) What shocks are you going with? And you can add the clevis at any time - and you don't HAVE to install conduit nuts between the clevis and the ring on the shock. The conduit nuts help ensure the measurement is correct; you can actually loosen the clevis bolt and open up the gap by 3/8" and tighten the clevis bolt back down and you'll have your clevis lift. Might as well do it when you install the springs/shocks so you don't have to do a 2nd alignment.

Bob

Apex

Reaction score
I put the .500" clevis spacer from JBA with the 927s up front and so far no problems. It was to match height with the two extra isos in the rear. I'm replacing my LCA/steering rack bushings soon so I might order new CVs, have a buddy machine them down for me, and do the top plates while I'm at it. I want to see how high I can take the IFS without doing a cradle drop. I already need the Tri-Angulated 4-Link in the back due to drifeshaft vibrations so that's the next hurdle, then the long arms. No point in trading ground clearance for bigger tires. Best I can tell, a little under 5" of total lift might be the max.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I put the .500" clevis spacer from JBA with the 927s up front and so far no problems. It was to match height with the two extra isos in the rear. I'm replacing my LCA/steering rack bushings soon so I might order new CVs, have a buddy machine them down for me, and do the top plates while I'm at it. I want to see how high I can take the IFS without doing a cradle drop. I already need the Tri-Angulated 4-Link in the back due to drifeshaft vibrations so that's the next hurdle, then the long arms. No point in trading ground clearance for bigger tires. Best I can tell, a little under 5" of total lift might be the max.

Little under 5 inches ?? LOL
OK I have just a bit of experience in this :emotions34:
IF you are running OME or Ironman springs no way over 4 inches of lift and even then will have UCA/ spring contact even with JBA arms
With JBA coilovers you can go up a bit, but then CVs become the issue and tie rod ends etc
If you want it to be a driver then sticking lower is the only option without a ton of work, Cradle drop opens up all kinds of other issues and more money
My "test bed" for the last 220,000 miles Two different OME setups, Ironman for a while and JBA coilovers last few years
You must be registered for see images attach

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.

The spacer from JBA is 1/4" thick which will add 1/2" to the lift. A 3/8" spacer (very hard to find anymore) will add 3/4" to the lift.

This argument has been going on as long as JeepKJ.com has been around. JBA calls them struts, but technically the KJ has coilover shocks. True, due to the upper control arm the front spring/shock combo shouldn't be called a strut but for conversation on here "strut" will suffice :waytogo:

To the OP...That 927/948 combo will treat you right (I have some experience with them :party52: ) What shocks are you going with? And you can add the clevis at any time - and you don't HAVE to install conduit nuts between the clevis and the ring on the shock. The conduit nuts help ensure the measurement is correct; you can actually loosen the clevis bolt and open up the gap by 3/8" and tighten the clevis bolt back down and you'll have your clevis lift. Might as well do it when you install the springs/shocks so you don't have to do a 2nd alignment.

Bob

Thank you TwoBobs I will be going with OME shocks as well. And I guess I will just get UCAs and do it all at once, clevis lift included.

krisP - Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the website, and yes I will be throwing in an extra rear iso as well

tomm - your jeep is my inspiration, damn that thing looks good!

thanks guys! :happy160:

Members online