Took a Jeep Cherokee for a test drive today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And............... I didn't like it at all. Shame on me for actually thinking about getting rid of my Liberty for a Cherokee.

The thing kept swerving back and forth on the road. I'm sure I was 100% secure. But I didn't like it. Didn't like the handling/steering at all.

I have heard that the cherokee has amazing torque. But I wasn't impressed. It seems like my Liberty takes off faster.

My left Knee was up against the door. That sucked. No leg room.

I do believe Jeep Cherokee's are very reliable. That's what I've heard. But driving a Jeep Liberty is A MUCH more pleasant experience. We are definitely spoiled with are Liberty's.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yeah, our friends with XJ's give us a hard time about our KJ...
But when we're all on the highway or on some funky off camber shit off road they all concur that our Rig out handles their truck hands down!
And let's face it, 90% of the time our KJ spends most of it's time driving around on paved roads!

Mind you, I wouldn't mind having a Cherokee as a toy!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Having had 3 Cherokees in the past that I bought new and drove each to over 200,000 miles, I'd never go back to one for a DD
The KJs are way better ride, run better and overall just a better vehicle.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the KJ was given all the lessons learned from the XJ. The door openings and interior room are definitely better, as is the handling for a driver. I would rather have the power curve the old straight 6 had, but what can you do? The extra 20 hp is sucked up by weight.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
power less curve is more like it, I think the 3.7 runs way better than the old 4.0 overall

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always liked my Comanche - doors were larger - like a 2 door Cherokee, was tighter along the left side though.

Actually seemed to have more torque than the Libbey, as did the 4.0 in the Wrangler I owned. Overall, I liked the 4.0 better.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off road = XJ win
On road = KJ win
And I am talking box stock

And I say this knowing that we took a box stock XJ
With nothing more than 235/75 MT's of some brand
And a quick lock in the rear on trails rated 3+
there were times when we were all shocked that
the HP30 survived the beating it took
Stuff that would for sure explode the 30A