To Buy or Not to Buy....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twixy79

Reaction score
Hello All
I am new and looking for some advice

I am looking to purchase a solid, winter vehicle since Avalons are not exactly made for Maine winters... With that being said, I found a 2006 KJ Renegade with 92k miles on it... Many years ago I owned a 94 Cherokee that I eventually traded in with over 200k on it... So I am well aware of how long jeeps CAN last.

My only hesitation is that I know a few people who had KJs and had TONS of issues with them. The car runs great, theres no real gnarley rust (just minor spots on the aftermarket running boards, which i would totally replace anyway since they aren't right for that truck) and on the muffler (which I am pretty sure is original) and I would gladly replace that too.

Aside from the few spots, theres no body damage, not even blemishes on the paint. It will probably need new tires by the end of winter (I live 3 miles in the middle of nowhere over a dirt road and it kills tires). And for the price (6g) I feel like overall, it'd be a good project car/winter driver. We don't do much off roading (our driveway is off road enough) and my husband wants a car that I can teach him about (and I have always been a Dodge/Jeep owner so I know them like th back of my hand).

So, basically I am looking for input on if you are all in love with your KJs, and if a truck that old is worth putting the money into.

Thanks in advance!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my '05; I drive it every day. I replaced the transmission in my back yard (I got it with a blown ******) and haven't had any trouble since.

Maintenance stuff, yes; trouble, no.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Bought my 2002 in 2007 - just sold it a couple months ago. Still miss it dearly. It had 258k miles. Had some major system issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed here in the driveway. It was always a strong runner, and awesome offroad.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not hesitate to buy it
With only 92k on the motor that's a steal
They are fun and easy to work on and you really gain a lot of experience for future/other vehicles
Great in all weather conditions, you won't be disappointed
As long as you take care of it and stay on top of your maintenance, it'll more than likely last you a long time
I'm very happy that I was able to get my KJ.. It has more miles than I'd like but it drives great
Also, no other forum is better than the KJ ones and you'd have access to the best knowledge around!
Just make sure if you do buy it to get it lifted and share with us :waytogo:

twixy79

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the input. I miss my 94 Cherokee (that was my first car and it was 10 years old when I bought it) but it was a death trap. The previous owner did no maintenance, the Windows didn't work, the ****** was slipping and the car would get stuck in 4lo. It was the very first car I ever worked on and it gave me a definite bug. I love workin on my cars and it's something I am hoping I can get my husband into.
I am so glad that you guys have mostly positive things to say. I don't mind doing simple fixes on my own or even trying something a bit more complex with the help of a trained professional (I worked in a car service center so I've got a few favors owed to me) I really think that this car has great potential and can be a great project car for me. And hey, maybe I'll even be able to get out of my driveway this winter!!!

I will def. keep you updated with pics and any mods I do!

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ definitely runs like a champ when taken care of. It will surprise you how capable it can be off-road once you upgrade it a bit.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any major malfunctions in my 03. <knock on wood>

Really, I think other than minor stuff (like my AC clutch going out), most "problems" people tend to have with a KJ, specifically, are induced by abuse or lack of maintenance.

Yeah there is the freak failure you hear about every once in a while... but I'd say it's rare considering the production numbers.

Latest posts

Members online