To Bling or not to Bling

To Bling or Not to Bling

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quivvy

Reaction score
To Bling or not to Bling.... the everlasting debate shall be settled here once and for all....

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to keep a clean KJ, but I don't care for bling bling.

I just spent the weekend prepping my Limited for the winter. Friday after work, washed it two times, Saturday morning, one coat or Rejex on about everything (including in the doors). Let it cure, then on Sunday, second coat or Rejex on the outside surfaces. Wow! Does she shine "prettier then a $20 *****!"

:sunny:

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
IMHO...

Chrome and Jeep just don't go together. Almost like water and electricity.

Bennett

2kjhouse

Reaction score
Bling Bling

I agree that a jeep doesn't need the bling, but when I put black on my patriot blue paint it was missing something. I also don't believe in chrome, that is why all my extras are stainless steel, a good SS won't rust in the Chicago salt, and it cleans up real easy as well.
You must be registered for see images

\:D/

Mountain Bob

Reaction score
OK, 2kjhouse, we'll still let you in the Mud Club -- so long as all that shine ain't chrome!

I'm with the "Function trumps Appearance" crowd.
When considering add-ons, I first decide what I need to accomplish (see Bambi, unstick my own rig, whatever), then consider the best looking set up that accomplishes the function I need.

Where I am and how I use my Liberty makes my choices unique -- what works in NYC (or poor, lightless Green Bay ) may not be best in Idaho. Alum. wheels are better because of their lighter weight, but when you may leave your rig unattended for hours at the edge of the known world, there isn't enough security available to save your rims. OTOH, aside from Bennett-envy, I probably need more lights just to get home than would a NYC/urban driver.

I guess I'm still scratching my head -- and laughing loudly -- at the Ultimate-Bling H2 we saw today. Jacked up a good nine inches or so, chrome "African Safari" front end guard (bigger than a lot of Montana cattle guards!), chromed roof-rack with a row of chromed lights, chromed step-rails, chromed taillight guards, chromed front and rear aftermarket bumpers . . . and what appeared to be 22" wheels, with low-profile rubber that had to have ZERO cushion and a very nearly-slick, street-racer tread pattern.

. . . My wife and I were laughing so hard as we turned across in front of it at the traffic light, the driver and his passerger were seriously glowering at us as we Liberty-ed by.

Let's see -- he needed that 9" lift so which treadless, cushionless tires could get a grip ... a grip on what ?

Liberty bumper stickers aside, there was NO rescuing that H2 !
[ rotfl ]

2kjhouse

Reaction score
too funny

Must have been a gut buster seeing that dress up H2 sitting there, I laugh at them all the time in Chi town as they can't even park the're big old chevys (oops did i say that) in the parking garages. And thanks for the mud club approval my baby does know how to get dirty but I wish she would learn to give herself a bath afterwords.

Now if I can just avoid those trees that jump out in front of you, or into the side of you. ] ](*,)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: too funny

2kjhouse said:
Must have been a gut buster seeing that dress up H2 sitting there, I laugh at them all the time in Chi town as they can't even park the're big old chevys (oops did i say that) in the parking garages. And thanks for the mud club approval my baby does know how to get dirty but I wish she would learn to give herself a bath afterwords.

Now if I can just avoid those trees that jump out in front of you, or into the side of you. ] ](*,)

I like the side graphic. Did that come standard, or was it an add on?

Mountain Bob

Reaction score

2kjhouse said:
. . . my baby does know how to get dirty but I wish she would learn to give herself a bath afterwords.

Bob's First Rule of Car Washing:

"If God had meant us to wash cars, He wouldn't have given us rain."

The Drying Corollary:

"If God had meant us to dry cars -- or dishes -- He wouldn't have given us osmotic pressure."

[ Bob's proof of a male Deity: If God had been "She", we'd be washing with Holy Water -- and we'd have hand-moisturizers and fragrance in our car soap . . ." ]

... and, needless to say, we wouldn't have Bob's other two Rules. :alien:

Mountain Bob

Reaction score

2kjhouse said:

uh, 2kjhouse . . . I hate to ask -- but is that you, umm, "draining the holding tank" behind your Liberty in that middle picture ??

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mountain Bob said:
2kjhouse said:
. . . my baby does know how to get dirty but I wish she would learn to give herself a bath afterwords.

Bob's First Rule of Car Washing:

"If God had meant us to wash cars, He wouldn't have given us rain."

The Drying Corrolary:

"If God had meant us to dry cars -- or dishes -- He wouldn't have given us osmotic pressure."

[ Bob's proof of a male Deity: If God had been "She", we'd be washing with Holy Water -- and we'd have hand-moisturizers and fragrance in our car soap . . ." ]

... and, needless to say, we wouldn't have Bob's other two Rules. :alien:

LOL! It must be how it is in Idaho?! =D>

The biggest reason that I wash my KJ and prep it for winter is because of all the d*** salt that is DUMPED on the roads here in the winter. All vehicles are otherwise white (until the rust starts in). Plus, I'm still enjoying having a new car. I use to just have old used cars with bad paint!

Mountain Bob

Reaction score

grogiefrog said:
. . . Plus, I'm still enjoying having a new car. I use to just have old used cars with bad paint!

Actually, that's the way it was in South Louisiana -- rainiest place in the hemisphere, no doubt.
North Idaho isn't the desert that southern Idaho is, but it's dry enough in town in the summer that I actually had to wash my cars a couple of times already this year.

Funny you should mention the new car/old car thing. The last brand-new car I bought before the Liberty was 33 years ago. I've long been a fan of a carefully selected, privately-owned 12-to-24 month old car ... and could take my time finding the right one. This time I totalled my truck (a guy "road-raged" me, cut in front of me and stopped -- at 70 mph in the Interstate), and I was faced with finishing out the pre-snow woods-season in my 2wd "beater" F250, or replacing my 4wd pickup.

Hence the Liberty -- and I, too, am enjoying being able to start with my "personal upgrades" instead of my usual beginning: finding out what the previous owner neglected, and bringing it up to "Bob specs."

btw -- I don't recommend cutting-off and stopping hard in front of a Ford truck if you're driving a Kia coupe. Me'n the Ford took a long ride 'cross a wooded Interstate median. Moron in the Kia spun and rolled, took a ride directly to the hospital. Kia looked like a Boy Scout foil-baked potato: all wrinkles, no paint.
Sad thing is, though I've no doubt pi$$ed off more than one fellow driver in the past, I have no clue what this guy's problem was.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd personally never purchase big chrome wheels that spin but do like some of the amenities the limited has to offer. The chrome/brushed aluminum interior... is that bling bling? I really like it w/ the dark slate grey. Some days when I'm on a really narrow road in the forests of the Pacific Northwet I really wish I had sport flares though. People are always surprised how much they like the interior. I like the versatility. Wheel it until it's brown. Clean it up for the town.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mountain Bob said:
grogiefrog said:
. . . Plus, I'm still enjoying having a new car. I use to just have old used cars with bad paint!
Sad thing is, though I've no doubt pi$$ed off more than one fellow driver in the past, I have no clue what this guy's problem was.

Wow! What a story!

Maybe it was that he was driving a KIA? =D> =D> =D> =D>

Mountain Bob

Reaction score
Well, I have an idea that his problems just started when he got out of the hospital (assuming he got out -- with today's confidentiality rules, I can't find out what his injuries were.) Seems the car was registered to a female with a different last name. I do know that the trooper was waiting in the ER to ticket him for reckless driving, and I suspect that it didn't go well when he got home for dinner with the 134 band aids and said, "Honey, I shrunk the Kia !"

Seriously -- I hope the guy's OK. Trooper told me I'm out of luck on injury info, " ... unless he dies -- then you'll see it in the newspaper."

---
Funny Kia story:
About a month after I bought my Honda ATV, I was in at the Honda-Kia / motorcycle-car dealership for my 500 mile checkup. The ace Honda motorcycle mechanic was going over the ATV, I was standing nearby, asking a zillion questions about wiring, lights, clunks and so forth, and somehow made a joking comment about Kias.

The mechanic froze, then took a step back, picked up my work order, slowly turned to me, and with a funeral director's best look of horrified sympathy said to me, "Oh, man -- you didn't buy a Kia, did you ?"

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that car salesmen go and hide when someone drives a KIA into a dealer. I guess they commonly owe more on the car then they can get for it. :-({|=

Mountain Bob

Reaction score
Even the Trooper who wrote up my accident commented on that. When he saw that the 2004 Kia was owned by an apparent "girlfriend" of the driver, he commented, "Oh, boy -- this guy's got a real problem. It's pretty much common knowledge that the only way they can get people to buy these things is to offer really low prices, and 'amazing' financing the leaves the buyer 'upside down' in the deal until the super-long warranty is mostly done."

A nearby fireman added, "Actually, that guy may have done her a favor -- totalling that thing is likely the only way she'll ever get her money out of it."

Every time I see a Kia, I remember the Yugo. Soon after Yugos debuted in the U.S., I read an article in the paper about the first shipment:
(DISCLAIMER: I don't remember the exact numbers or exact quotes, but as best I recall, it was pretty close to what I'm about to use -- so this is an "as I remember it" so-called quote.)

Seems the first shipment off the boat had maybe 50 cars. The dealership/import HQ was maybe 30 miles away, so they hired drivers to drive the new Yugos over there. Twelve or fifteen wouldn't even start. Another nineteen or so broke down between the dock and the dealer.

When the highly amused U.S. reporters asked the U.S. Sales Director (who may have been a native Yugo-guy, based on the last name), he said (approximately),
"This is an American problem -- Americans don't know how to fix their own cars . . . they just want to drive them. Americans don't deserve a car as good as this one."

I'm kind of thinking that we pretty much agreed with him, based on how long the Yugo lasted in the U.S. market. <LOL>

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice disclaimer!

The Yugo did come to mind. I as well heard that they had to replace the motors with Canadian built motors due to the originals couldn't take the boat ride. Nothing like communists making cars!