Tj rubicon wheels. Refurb and a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up some tj Moab wheels CHEAP. They're a little rough, looks like they were wheeled a little. Just some rock rash on the edge an scuffing on the clearcoat, nothing some wet sanding isn't fixing. I'm planning to paint/plasti dip them. I'm done with maintaining bare aluminum rims ha ha. If they were in better shape i would rock them clear coated, but im always on a budget ha ha. I'm ordering my ome kit soon, and I'm going to go with some 245 Ats. My question is for the guys who have painted clear coated rims, should I strip the clearcoat? Or just rough it up and paint.

Here's some befores and afters, they're still roughly sanded, if y'all dont think i need to strip them I'm going to wet sand them more.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from My Porcelain Throne using Tapatalk

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks man.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't even have to sand for plasti-dip. But since you already have, you're good. Sand and paint with regular metal/wheel paint like Tom said.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I might use the same epoxy paint I used for the wheels on my truck. Turned out well, and over a year later no issues. Those were t clear coated though so I wasn't sure. Thanks again.