Tires for 17" OE Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avking

Reaction score
My 05 Lib Limited came stock with 235 65 17 tires. All the tire talk I see is about the 16" size. Will a 245 65 17 tire fit with little to no rub? How about a 255 65 17, I doubt this one but thought I would ask.

FYI, my stock tires are the Goodyear and I have over 65k miles on them. Just now getting around to replacing them. The tread is low, but still in the safe range. I am impressed with how long they have lasted.

TIA

dm1tonram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have same problem, i was wondering if a 235/70/17 would fit also

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
245/65/17 will most likely fit with minor rubbing, there are some who got much better Wrangler tires without rubbing, but I think they were pre-lifted (02). You got 65k out of your Wrangler HP's? Either you drive very safe/slow or it never rains where you live. :)

I did a bit of research, and ended up with Nokian tires in sock size.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those stock tires were not safe after 15k.

Like hyedipin said, 245/65/17 will fit with little rubbing. You can trim to take care of it or not worry with it, depends on how bad the rubbing is.

avking

Reaction score

Like hyedipin said, 245/65/17 will fit with little rubbing. You can trim to take care of it or not worry with it, depends on how bad the rubbing is.

I am at 66k miles now. Tires are just fine, but it is time to replace them. Most of the miles are on the highways on the central coast of CA. We don't get a lot of rain, but have a two or three month rainy season where we see our fair share. It has been out on the sand dunes every two months or so and the stock tires worked very well for the sand.

Yours might not have been safe after 15k, but mine did just fine. I have decided to just stick with the stock tires in the same size. It is the least expensive option available. Run them for 50k miles, I hope, and them dump the Jeep. I finally realized I am never going to really off-road it and will not end up taking it to Idaho. Too many other veicles, CJ7 and Hummer H1, that are much more adept in those environments.

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 235/65/17 size on my liberty. I went with the yokohoma geolanders at-s. It's been a very good tire for me.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I am at K miles now. Tires are just fine, but it is time to replace them. Most of the miles are on the highways on the central coast of CA. We don't get a lot of rain, but have a two or three month rainy season where we see our fair share. It has been out on the sand dunes every two months or so and the stock tires worked very well for the sand.

Yours might not have been safe after K, but mine did just fine. I have decided to just stick with the stock tires in the same size. It is the least expensive option available. Run them for 50w miles, I hope, and them dump the Jeep. I finally realized I am never going to really off-road it and will not end up taking it to Idaho. Too many other vehicles, VJ and Hummer H, that are much more adept in those environments.

This it just my opinion. But based on your statements I think you are somebody who just operates a motor vehicle to get from point A too B and have no notion of what your Jeep Liberty (KJ) is capable of doing off road!
Your comment about "Too many other vehicles, CJ7 and Hummer H1, that are much more adept in those environments." is a joke.
And the fact that you think the stock tires are just fine?
That really sums up the fact that you are don't relize the comments that fellow KJ owners have had to say about the factory installed crap tires.

You are either a mouth breather.
Ignorant.
Or an Idiot and all of the above.

Please do sell your KJ to somebody else who can and will appreciate a Jeep KJ.
Go buy a Hummer fool and leave the Jeeps for us real enthusiasts.

Last edited:

avking

Reaction score
This it just my opinion. But based on your statements I think you are somebody who just operates a motor vehicle to get from point A too B and have no notion of what your Jeep Liberty (KJ) is capable of doing off road!
Your comment about "Too many other vehicles, CJ7 and Hummer H1, that are much more adept in those environments." is a joke.
And the fact that you think the stock tires are just fine?
That really sums up the fact that you are don't relize the comments that fellow KJ owners have had to say about the factory installed crap tires.

You are either a mouth breather.
Ignorant.
Or an Idiot and all of the above.

Please do sell your KJ to somebody else who can and will appreciate a Jeep KJ.
Go buy a Hummer fool and leave the Jeeps for us real enthusiasts.

Wow, more than a little hostility in your post. Seeing as how you know me so well, I am not going to put much stock in your opinion of me.

I am sure the stock tires suck in the mud or under most offroad conditions. But, on the road, they were just fine for me. Your mileage may vary of course, but it is hard to complain about any tire that runs for 65k miles without a single issue.

I already own a Hummer H1, so no need to go buy one as you so tactfully suggested. While I am sure a decently modified Liberty can perform adequately in many environments, it is hardly in the class of a Stock H1 or my locked and lifted 1985 CJ7. Both of which have run the Rubicon, Lions Back, countless Moab and Anza Borega trails, etc. And lets not forget nine Jeep Safari's. So, my offroad history is more than adequate to render opinions. Besides, I never insulted the Liberty. Simply stated I felt my CJ or H1 were better performers.

As far as the "real" Jeep enthusiasts comment, you are truly insane. I own, drive and wheel a Jeep that is MUCH more "real" in Jeep circles than any Liberty will ever dream of. Again, not saying the Liberty is bad, but hardly regarded as the cream of the crop by Jeepers.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup, my stock goodyears came off at 15,000 miles and are sleeping in the garage. Got me stuck twice and also had 2 punctures that were plugged.

And I agree that 245/65/17 will be ok but no bigger.

Dave