Tires and grooved concrete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waitn4frnd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and apologize in advance if my question has been discussed previously. I have an 04 that I purchased about 2 years ago. I recently changed job locations and now have to take a different highway to work. I am now taking a highway that is all new concrete with grooves in it. I feel like i'm being toggled back and forth and that I do not have control over the vehicle. The first time I drove it, I literally pulled the Jeep over to see if I had a flat tire. It's very uncomfortable and I feel unsafe. A: because I don't feel like I have control and B: because I'm afraid to drive over 60 mph on a 70+ highway. The whole 40 mile trip is like this. Grrr. I drive other highways that are smooth and do not that the sensation what so ever. I know that I need new tires soon, so my question is what is the best tire to get, and will any specific tire reduce the tramlining I'm feeling. I feel like I'm fighting the road the whole way to work and home...I'm exhausted! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome first ,
Now thats out of the way
So only on this one stretch of road ? No others?
Now with tires, ever go offroad at all? Want only a AT type tread? Lifted or stock height?

waitn4frnd

Reaction score
Only the concrete highway that is "grated" or textured. Never go off road. Stock height. I think AT tread, I live in Michigan...and of course winter *****...lol

Last edited:

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the tie rods,ball joints and alignment first.
Do the tires on it now have abnormal wear?

Gyro

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus even though it does not do it on all roads I would check the rear LCAs as well , they make you dance up a storm on some roads worse than others

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I too am from Michigan, so I know the roads you are also likely familiar with.

This isn't I-96 by chance, is it? That stretch of highway is like the back roads of Falujah.

ASSUMING that you have no worn suspension parts, tie rod ends, balljoints, control arm issues, etc... you say you know you need tires. So I'm guessing they are worn to a certain extent, if not abnormally then just down into or past the wear bars.

When you don't have a lot of tread left on a tire, it tends to wander and lose grip and traction.. those grooved highways will do that. They'll also do that with tires that have a very linear tread block pattern. If there are large, or many tread grooves that follow the circumference of the tire, such as in a lot of those water treading tires, they'll tend to follow the grooves.

This happens to me quite often travelling over the bridge grates here in Bay City when I'm on my motorcycle.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has to do with road surface, I would say tires would probably be a leading cause. However, the issue can probably be exacerbated by worn out steering rack bushings and rear upper control arm bushings.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same problem on a newly redone stretch of road to and from work. My tires were at the wear bars, so a few weeks ago I had new tires put on, I went with Cooper Discoverer AT3's. So far I love them! They are by far the best riding and quitest all terrain tire I have ever had. Also the dancing around and toggling as you call it are 100% gone.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer A/T3™

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New tires on a vehicle are better than a fresh pair of socks and underwear.. or a soft, new hoodie.

waitn4frnd

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I had the jeep checked...rods, ball joints, suspension, control arm, ect., everything was tight and checked out fine. I didn't have an alignment because I was told that it should be done after new tires. There isn't any abnormal wear on the tires but they are 7 years old and two different brands. A big no no I know! They were like that when I bought it, should have taken care of it right then! The road I drive now is I-69, total groove fest and the more I learn, I'm sure its the tires. I looked at 3 different tires, Toyo Open Country H/T, Mastercraft (Cooper)Course HSX Tour and Michelin LTX M/S2. The Michelins had the best rating, best mileage and best reviews. I chose those. A bit pricey but I'm hoping worth it. I get them put on this morning with an alignment. I have high hopes this will help. Thanks again for all your suggestions with checking the other things first, it gives me much more peace of mind knowing that those things are good instead of dumping the money on tires and it being a whole other issue.

waitn4frnd

Reaction score
The Michelins are AMAZING! They have handled great in snow, wet pavement and best of all, smooth smooth smooth on the grated concrete! My right toe was a bit off as well as my steering in the opposite direction. My baby got new shoes and everything is all aligned. I feel safe again. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Members online