Tire Size/Type ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
I am on my third set of BFG's. I had over 55,000 miles on my last set on a 4-tire rotation. I just bought 5 for my CRD and I still love them. Excellent in dry, rain, snow, mud and rock. Every time I buy new tires, I check them all out and I keep coming back to the same conclusion. BFG's in LT255/70R16 rub slightly on a 2.5" lift, but nothing you can't live with. I do.

dnm45227

Reaction score
No question in my mind as to the quality of the BFG's. I guess I'm just trying to bottom fish on the price. If I can get a grabber that's 90-95% as good as the BFG for about 50% of the price, that's (to me) an acceptable trade.

Plus I like the Fact of both kj's having the same size tire. If for some reason we are in the middle of no where (maybe even post WWIII) and we just happen to lose that second tire, we could swap it with the others spare. The'02 LTD has 235 70 16's now, and the '05 Rennegade has 225 75 16's. I also like being able to upgrade the tire size on both (including spares), for less than what 8 new revo's or bfg's would cost. That means I would have matched sets all the way around.

If I went w/235 70 16's I would use the Wal-Mart Liberators off the '02 as mis-matched spares. I really like things to match. I know they have counseling for that sort of thing, but rehab is for quiters.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brigrat said:
The General's are really good tires too, and like was previously mentioned have a much better mileage warantee,

Its not that they have a better mileage warranty, its that they actually have one.

With the BFG you arent promised to make it past mile 42 (whistle).

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
No question in my mind as to the quality of the BFG's. I guess I'm just trying to bottom fish on the price. If I can get a grabber that's 90-95% as good as the BFG for about 50% of the price, that's (to me) an acceptable trade.

Plus I like the Fact of both kj's having the same size tire. If for some reason we are in the middle of no where (maybe even post WWIII) and we just happen to lose that second tire, we could swap it with the others spare. The'02 LTD has 235 70 16's now, and the '05 Rennegade has 225 75 16's. I also like being able to upgrade the tire size on both (including spares), for less than what 8 new revo's or bfg's would cost. That means I would have matched sets all the way around.

If I went w/235 70 16's I would use the Wal-Mart Liberators off the '02 as mis-matched spares. I really like things to match. I know they have counseling for that sort of thing, but rehab is for quiters.

If you are not going huge with your tires than just go with the grabbers.

The only time BFGs are gonna be put to real use is when you go crayZ! ******** into the ruts, (which is kinda what I am into) I have wheeled with lesser tires and I am sure you will be happy with the grabbers.

It is the ******** aspect of wheeling that justifies the more expensive brands of parts.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANybody tried these?

You must be registered for see images

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those are the 3-ply there would be no way to fit them. The smallest being a 33x13.50. However, their 2-ply might work with a 31x10.50 but uses 15" rims.

The AT version looks good too, while getting a 245/75/16 tire. The load range shows up as an E (heavy duty range), and this is for just an All Terrain tire. I'm under the impression that the BFG's run in the D range, while the BFG MT's and Wrangler MT's run E range?

Anywho nice looking tire!!!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right, I checked the website, best bet is
You must be registered for see images
which has 225 x 70R-16 (http://www.4wd.com/procomp/)

I am going crazy trying to find a on/off road tire for my 17" rims.. I don't want to change the size, so I need 235 x 65 17s and just no good selection.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Well I finally made a decision. I'm going to buy/5 BFG All Terrain T/A's for the new CRD and have the stock Goodyears put on the '05 Renegade. Total for the tires, mounting, swaping them over, and road hazard for all tires was $952.00.

Once the new tires get put on I'll post some pics of the CRD.

It was a tuff call. I almost went with the AT2's, but my wife drives +25k a year and I wanted the best tire available.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I went w/235 70 16, I'm not planning on lifting it. My wife will drive it most of the time and it doesn't have skids, so serious off roading isn't going to happen (but who knows the way she drives). When we had the Grand Am she had to get a tow truck to get her out of a yard after a snow storm.

The tire shop also said that any larger could throw the speedo off, and I think she pushes the limit of the cops forgiveness as it is. I've gotten messages like tell Doug to fix the headlight, or have Doug call me in past. So I don't want here to have any question as to how fast she's going.