Tire size for 2006 KJ.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advace everyone. I have a 2006 KJ with 41,000 miles on the original factory tires which are 225/75R-16. I found a really cheap pair of Continental tires 235/70-16 online. Does anyone have any experiance swapping out 225/75R-16 with 235/70-16? Thanks.

Moab

Reaction score
You should have absolutely no problem. The 70 series with make up for the extra cm of width. Plus you'll get a little extra tread on the road.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245-70-16's. No rubbing at all, no matter if the wheel is cranked fully to one side.
Plus, they look BadA

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advace everyone. I have a 2006 KJ with 41,000 miles on the original factory tires which are 225/75R-16. I found a really cheap pair of Continental tires 235/70-16 online. Does anyone have any experiance swapping out 225/75R-16 with 235/70-16? Thanks.

Just a pair dude? If you only replace two, there's a really good chance you'll have trouble engaging/disengaging any of the 4WD modes. Unequal tire sizes make for an unhappy transfer case.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a pair dude? If you only replace two, there's a really good chance you'll have trouble engaging/disengaging any of the 4WD modes. Unequal tire sizes make for an unhappy transfer case.

Yes do not mix tire sizes unless you have a 2WD.
It will cause serious problems, even being off 1/8" from one tire to another can cause problems.

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Bad, I should have stated a set of 4 tires. I picked them up last night. They have atleast 20,000 miles left on them. pay $60 for all four.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Bad, I should have stated a set of 4 tires. I picked them up last night. They have atleast 20,000 miles left on them. pay $60 for all four.

Good price, do they have an aggressive tread? Even if not that's still a pretty good price for a set of 4 matching tires that have a year or two life left.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$60 isnt bad but you still got mounting and balancing honestly continentals kinda suck ive got em on mine and they squeal around every corner and chirp under acceleration. and they are inflated correctly too.

RedJolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how bad they sound. They can't be as bad as the sounds that came out of me on Saturday when PepBoys told me they wanted $568.00 for a set 4 tires of their house brand 'Defiant' tires.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235/70R16 is what came equipped on my '02 with the towing package. When you can, check out Costco for tires. My BFG's were cheaper than on Tire Rack and includes a great warranty with free nitrogen fills.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrogen fills are pointless when you air down to go wheeling. Besides, the atmosphere is already like 78% nitrogen anyways. Why pay more for the extra 22% to replace the oxygen and other inert gasses. Just check your tire pressures once a week and you'll never need nitrogen.

The only place for nitrogen is in my shock absorbers and inside aircraft tires.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrogen fills are pointless when you air down to go wheeling. Besides, the atmosphere is already like 78% nitrogen anyways. Why pay more for the extra 22% to replace the oxygen and other inert gasses. Just check your tire pressures once a week and you'll never need nitrogen.

The only place for nitrogen is in my shock absorbers and inside aircraft tires.

True. My Jeep has been retired from trail duty and only serves the purpose of getting me to and from class, so I don't have to worry about airing down like many on here. I wouldn't pay the $12 Discount Tire wants for a nitrogen fillup, but I'll take it when it's free. Some of the research I've seen shows that it takes longer for tires to lose pressure than when simply filled with oxygen.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. My Jeep has been retired from trail duty and only serves the purpose of getting me to and from class, so I don't have to worry about airing down like many on here. I wouldn't pay the $12 Discount Tire wants for a nitrogen fillup, but I'll take it when it's free. Some of the research I've seen shows that it takes longer for tires to lose pressure than when simply filled with oxygen.

Uh, never, ever fill with oxygen. Things like to spontaneously combust when exposed to a 100% oxygen environment.

Nitrogen is used because of it's inertness. That and the molecule (N2) is bigger than O and doesn't pass as easily through the rubber wall around it. Aircraft tires have been filled with nitrogen for, well, like ever. An aircraft tire goes from zero to 150+ mph in an instant during a landing evolution. Nitrogen is stable and able to take a beating from the heat that is generated. Wheel temps on the F18's I work on often hit 250*F and higher during braking. There's a plug in the wheel designed to melt at 450*F and deflate the tire in the event of a brake fire.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, never, ever fill with oxygen. Things like to spontaneously combust when exposed to a 100% oxygen environment.

Nitrogen is used because of it's inertness. That and the molecule (N2) is bigger than O and doesn't pass as easily through the rubber wall around it. Aircraft tires have been filled with nitrogen for, well, like ever. An aircraft tire goes from zero to 150+ mph in an instant during a landing evolution. Nitrogen is stable and able to take a beating from the heat that is generated. Wheel temps on the F18's I work on often hit 250*F and higher during braking. There's a plug in the wheel designed to melt at 450*F and deflate the tire in the event of a brake fire.

Wow, we got Bill Nye the science guy up in here :D

Can you please explain how the magnetic fields effect earth's gravity around the poles?