Tire size & computer calibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuJass

Reaction score
New here.
G/f just bought an '03 Lib Sport.

2 things. It needs new tires soon and the g/f hates how puny the stock 215/75 16 tires are and how ugly the steel wheels are.

So, one, we'd like to get another set of wheels. I like the 6 spoke wheels that came on some Libs. Any idea where we could get a clean set?

And second, how big a tire can we get on the truck without rubbing, and what of calibration issues? I don't want the speedo messed up nor the ABS. On GM vehicles, you can use a Hypertech power programmer to change the tire size setting in the PCM. Can you do the same thing in the Liberties? What does the factory say about changing tire size?
And what brand of tires? This truck won't be offroaded, so we'd be looking for more of a street tread with quiet ride and good wet and snow traction. Oh, and outlined white letters.

Sorry if these questions have been answered before. I searched the 1st 3 pages of this section and didn't find the answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

2003KJ

Reaction score
First off, (welcome) to the site!

I believe the biggest you can go with stock height and no rubbing is a 245/75/16. As far as re programming the speedo goes, Im not sure if you can do that yourself. I've heard of many just swinging by their dealer and having them do it real quick.

Good luck and do post some pics of the new ride! \:D/

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my Renegade that had the "off road" option that had 235/70R16's I asked the guy at the dealer if 245/70R16's would fit and if it would need to be reclaibrated. He said he didn't think so and when I asked the service guys in at the Jeep dealer in the town I work in some said one size up no problem and a mechanic there agreed one guy, who I think wasn't haven't having a good day, chimed in and said no you should keep the size it came with on it! Oh and they said something about not being able to reprogram the newer KJ's to different sizes. Well the day I finally got my KJ I took it to the nearest goodyear dealer and got a set of 5 245/70R16's on paying the difference in price of the stock "as new" and the new ones. I haven't noticed any rubbing and when I got back from goodyear the dealership called and had forgot to have me sign my title. The guys there gawked at how sweet the libby looked w/ beefier tires and agreed they weren't much bigger and fit great. Still said nothing about reprograming the comp. I don't think the 254/75 fit w/o lift but I might be wrong.

HuJass

Reaction score
I'm reading conflicting stories. Some say the 245/75 16s will rub (albeit just a little and only at full lock) and others say that they won't.

Anybody ever use a 235/75 16?

I really don't want them to rub at all. I'd never hear the end of it.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have some time to take some shots of my KJ front on and from the back and such and will post them so you can see how 245/70's look.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

\:D/