Tire Report Dakota 245/70R16s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp in case you didnt catch my earlier post of the rubber lugs chipping, and falling out on these Diffinity Dakota 245/70R16 buy 3 get one free deals from pep boys... these are a 2 ply passenger car A/T tire w/ minimum side wall protection.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33303

I off road OFTEN with my jeep been out prolly 10~12 times now prolly totaling in the neighborhood of 500 miles of offroad miles. ish

After a whopping 12K miles on these tires total, they are through finished and dangerous to ride on.. my front passenger tire was leaking intermittantly, and upon inspection at the tire place, the side wall had a few cuts in it, one of which was through and leaking ever so slightly. The other tire's side walls where not much better off. One showed signs of side wall seperation, a small crack all the way round w/ nylon starting to show through. the other two just rubbed raw from abuse you would wiggle the side walls WAY too easy and you could feel the lumps of the nylon ect as it was wearing so thin it was quite ugh.. not so good....I had no desire to wait till they blow apart and looked like a raggidy collar arround my hub/wheel's neck.

Out here in AZ where it hit 114 today, would hate to be on a trail changing one crappy tire for another. So i had to pony up for some new tires today... Ill post pics when its light out again...

BFG 245/75R16 MT KMs

1)yes they are loud (but not bad till im doing 40 and slowing down)
2)ride higher =D
3)E load rated (hybrid 3 ply vs standard 10ply E rateing) and way beefy side walls, i felt both the diffinity (worn, and the spare that was not worn) and the BFG's it was amazing how much more side wall was in the BFG's Fantastic.
4) lessons learned: dont ********* 4wheel on pasenger tires a lot, ruining them w/ out getting stuck is the luckyest thing that could happen
5) Event if my miles/dollar dont differ much on these puppies, they are way less likly to fail on me when they are needed most.
6) my tire people road hazard'ed them and said they dont care how i ruin em, they wont hastle me about "how" they get dmngd. yah!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, and I thought I went thru tires fast :eek: Glad ya caught the problem before it became a roll-over, that would have truly inhaled deeply! :mad:

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were they cheap priced? If so, it just goes to show if it looks to good to be true it is and you get what you pay for. Of course are you really out much if you have road hazzard? Thanks for the report. I'm probably going to go with Firestone Destination A/Ts