Tire Pressure Warning Lamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for the tire pressure warning lamp to go off every once in a while? I'm not sure why, but I was driving down the express at about 65-70mph, and I noticed the warning lamp turned on and off for a few seconds like every 10-15 minutes.

It can't be that I'm low on pressure. A few days ago the warning light stayed on permanently. I found that I had to inflate them so I matched them all at around 34 psi. The warning lamp then disappeared 30 seconds later.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me until finally the light stayed on all the time. All my air pressures were in spec and the same..........then I thought.......you don't suppose........the spare. Sure enough I checked the spare and it was @ 27 P.S.I. I inflated it to the same as the other tires and low and behold the light went out. It makes sense that the spare would have a sensor in it as well. Give it a try! #-o

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a minute that idea did cross my mind, but something just didn't add up. I don't have an EVIC, but the brochures state the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System continuously checks all four tires and reports back on an overhead display..."; no mention of a spare.

Anyway, I do need to check the PSI on the spare. I think I'll do that the next time I fill up. Thanks for the tip, though...we'll see what happens.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats funny, Im having the same issue. had my tires rotated and had the pressure checked too. it was all good for a week, now just yesterday the lamp came on but it goes out then comes on like every 20 minutes during my driving to remind me. it never continuously stays on but i checked the pressue and its no where near below 34.
as for the spare, how is that possible that it monitors that. its just a tire hanging on a mount with nothing connected to it but bolts. i cant see how it would monitor it. i dont have the overhead computer either.
Im hoping someone can chime in to shed the light.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I didn't read the above link (it may cover it), but the sensor is integrated in the valve stem, and it will fuss if the spare is low. The dash light will come on, but if you have the overhead computer it gives deatiled info.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i have to ask that if the sensor is in the valve stem, how in the world does it connect to the dashboard (the spare)

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i just clicked on that link from the above post..now i understand how it works..thats pretty cool but I do not have the overhead console, does it still work like that but without the detailed info? it doesnt say in the owners manual.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear my theory of the 5th sensor turned out to be for real. Thanks for the link to the article explaining how it works.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! It’s true! I checked my pressure on my spare when I was filling up before a trip. It was at 24 PSI. I set it to 34 PSI and voila…no more *BING!*

I wish that warning lamp could at least point out which tire is low on pressure, though. But that would make an EVIC less cool.

Renegade363

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm having the same problem too. I was just going to post this question. I will check all 5 of the tires and see if the light will stop flashing.

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats kewl to me is that I had the tire pressure warning light on the dash and after adding my EVIC, when the low pressure light came on the other day, I happened to look up at the EVIC and it read something like "Low pressure spare tire". So even if i couldn't read actual pounds of pressure like I assumed it would when I installed the EVIC, at least I'll know which one is low. I'm not about to try to get those fenderwell sending units, etc. just so I can know the actual pressure...not worth it to me now.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats cool. I wish I had gotten the evic when i ordered my renny. i just though $1000 was a bit much.
its funny how many of us had the spare complaining! I live in RI, and it just turned pretty cold and thats why mine kicked on. Im guessing the same for some others out there??

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rennie2k5 said:
thats cool. I wish I had gotten the evic when i ordered my renny. i just though $1000 was a bit much.
its funny how many of us had the spare complaining! I live in RI, and it just turned pretty cold and thats why mine kicked on. Im guessing the same for some others out there??

I would have got the EVIC, too (if I had that choice). But, yes, it's the sudden change in temp that causes the tire pressure to decrease.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how would one be able to get rid of it? Im just ignorant with this kind of stuff and was wondering if thats possible.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temperature range

My PSI varies from 25-35 depending on the temperature. The warning seems to come on at 26-27 PSI. I had no idea the EVIC I added had TPMS until I turned on my Jeep and got the warning 'Pressure sensors bad/missing'. It would come on randomly while driving and I'd have to hit a button to get it back to temperature or mileage. That's the only reason I added the sensors. I had no idea how much pressure varied with temperature. The pressure also increases after a mile or two of driving. I was surprised they warmed up that quickly.

Ahhh, technology; not just another annoying 'ding'.