"TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got that yesterday after a killer brake to avoid rearending an audi on a downhill. boy, my brakes seem to suck after the last brake job. ANyway,
I got that chime first, followed by "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING" on the EVIC..
I hit the menu and back to monitor, and had all -- where I would see the PSI.
So, all 4 tires were -- . After about a mile driving like that they started coming back one by one, 30 seconds apart..

I was scared 8-[ anyone had this before?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do they work? does it transmit the pressure wirelessly, if so I would guess something happened to the receiver.. since I doubt all four will go bad suddenly and come back later.

I have the magnet, but since it said it should only be used by a professional when calibrating the PSI, I didn't want to touch it.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i think it does..if I remember correctly....

i couldve sworn someone posted a how to on the instlal on the psi sensors...

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from http://www.wjjeeps.com/tpms.htm
Training / Retraining the tire sensors:

The sensor transmitters can easily be retrained by anyone and takes just a couple of minutes to complete. The special magnet tool used for retraining is included with those vehicles in which the factory has installed the TPMS option. The magnet can also be purchased for around $25, otherwise a pair of 6" or so speakers with good size magnets will do the trick.

1. On the overhead console, use the "Menu" button to advance to the "Retrain" option in the EVIC menu.

2. When "Yes" is selected, training will begin, starting with the left front tire.

3. Place the special magnet momentarily on each valve stem, one at a time, in clockwise order (LF, RF, RR, LR, Spare). You'll have 60 seconds to place the magnet on the first tire stem and 30 seconds for each of the other four, the spare being last. As each tire location is "learned", there is a confirming horn chirp. It may take 5-10 seconds for the confirming chirp once the magnet is placed on each stem. That's it, the correct tire pressure will now be displayed for the corresponding tires and the TPMS is fully functional.

I've done it each time i've rotated the tires, its pretty straight forward. Didn't get the magnet when i bought the sensors, so i've been using the stock door speakers i took out a while back.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, so that I guess only retrains the locations of the tires, and does no difference to how it measures the pressure.

When I swapped the spare with rear pass, it recognized and said "Swap Detected" after about 5 miles of driving, it was so great!

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's intereting, i'll have to see if it it will detect the swap after my next rotation. I think the '05s+ don't come with the magnets because after a couple of minutes, it will detect if the wheels were swapped out. But I have an '04 evic and sensors, so i figured better safe than sorry and retrain the location each time.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was driving down the highway with 0 on my rear pass tire (although it was at the spare location) after a while It just magically fixed itself.
:) Mine is 04. It was then saying "Spare low Pressure".. DC thought about everything.. didn't they! (whistle)

alpnst

Reaction score
Upgrade your EVIC

Doos anyone know if you can upgrade your EVIC. I have the TPM sensors in the wheels, as I have a CRD limited, but it doesn't display on my EVIC. Can I upgrade that or does it cost an arm and a leg??

Michael

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a firmware upgrade can help you out, talk to the dealer to see what they will say..

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe...but i'll bet you have to upgrade the evic module itself. The '05 KJ parts list shows two modules. It would be a simple swap, but expensive...

56010 520AD $547.00 msrp ($450 if you know where to look)
56010 527AD $362.00 msrp

teazingweezer

Reaction score
Ive been having this issue with my liberty ever since I put my new tires on. I dont have the magnet and I was wondering if any magnet will do or does it have to be a magnet specifically for the liberty. Any advice would be appreciated.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any strong enough magnet will do, and i don't think the magnet has to be very strong. I've been using the stock speakers that i pulled out to train my sensors.

sjtilney

Reaction score
I just bought an 05 sport. do they all have the tire pressure monitoring feature? I never noticed it in mine.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 05 sport. do they all have the tire pressure monitoring feature? I never noticed it in mine.
No, mine didn't originally. I added an evic and sensors. I suppose you could deflate one of your tires and see if a dash light comes on.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership, online mopar parts sites or sometimes you can find them on ebay. But the tpm system a little more complicated than just adding sensors to the wheels. I used sensors and an evic from an '04. Because they changed the tpm system starting in '05 (more on that here), i don't think i had many other choices. If you go thru the how-to thread on installing an evic, you'll get an idea of what needs to be done and the parts you need to do it.