Tire Pressure Gauges..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to replace mine. I have both a digital one and the old fashioned round gauge type. My digital one is not working right as the battery is crapping out and it is not replaceable so I have to just buy another gauge. POS thing.

So.....What do you use???(digital or gauge type) and is it any good??

I tried the search function, but can't get the thing to work for me.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a digital guage that I got at radio shack along time ago. I do not believe they have them anymore but I saw it at sears not long ago.

It always agrees with the TPMS so i guess they are both good or equally wrong. :)

You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the digital ones,they are never right anyway.A good psi gauge is the only way,one that has been calibrated and can be re-calibrated if needed.A liquid filled gauge is better since it will stay in calibration longer.

This one is on my list of "to get" items...........
You must be registered for see images

There web site......http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...=80005&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=13249

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have this antique tire gauge that you can re-calibrate.
My Pa bought it in 1965 and it works and tells you accurately the tire pressure.
Digital gauges (Unless Formula one quality or a particular model that cost real money) are crap.

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
A good old fashion type like you have is hard to beat. I have a digital and mechanical type, and prefer the old stand-by I bought 20 years ago.

Sometimes newer is not better. :D

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a either a digital or dial indicator gauge when I air up (to about 22 lbs) and a lawn tractor pencil type for airing down (max 20 lbs).
http://www.autobarn.net/te17-521.html
I find the digital gauges not very accurate at low pressures.

Most of my friends like to use the dial indicator models.

I used to have "tire pressure indicator caps" on my tires but found they leaked over time.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a dial indicator man, but I can't justify spending $100 on a tire gauge.

$6 dial gauge, has worked fine for the past 3 years and I find it to be quite accurate, even at low PSI.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
tjkj.....you have fine taste but $95 is way over my comfort zone. That does sound like a really good one though.

I was at NAPA and saw a similar one but not liquid filled for $79.99.

I don't know what to get yet. I am still looking.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was running bristol I would see the need for a $100 gauge. Since I drive a Jeep Ill stick to the $10 digital. I use it all the time to air up my air bags(>10psi at times) and it does just fine.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the el cheapo from strauss auto pen type. $5

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
A good pen type like yours is all you need in my opinion. Just keep the indicator stick lubed, so it slides freely to get accurate psI.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good pen type like yours is all you need in my opinion. Just keep the indicator stick lubed, so it slides freely to get accurate psI.
I have about 10 different tire gauges,from the pen stlye to the digital style.When used one right after another on the same tire I get 10 different psi #'s with about a 8psi difference(from lowest to highest).I go with what my no name liquid filled psi gauge says, I was given it by my grandfather,it's over 40 years old and is in perfect calibration as of july of '07,I get it checked about ever 2 years or so.Most welding supply shops can calibrate gauges,the bigger stores at least.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in Sears and bought a Craftsman digital one for $24.99 and it seems to work good. It is guaranteed to 1% accuracy and the battery is replacable also.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online