Tire Inflation Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EcoRenegade

Reaction score
Way too much air in those

Anything lower than 40PSI in these tires (Goodyear Wrangler ST) feels like I'm steering with 2 feather pillows. After worn this set for several years, there is even tread wear with regular rotation and maintaining 40-44 PSI. I would like to know more of your thoughts on this since a set of AT rated is going on in a few months.

heavenbound

Reaction score
Ever buy any tires from Red down in New Martinsville?
Off track a bit but............I think his last shop was right above the bridge.
Used to work for Tire America back years ago he managed the N.M. store and I had Woodsfield

My family bought off Red for years. I actually used to rent a house near his. He's good, but you've got to keep checking prices. I got tired of having to double-check him, and started buying off Bob at "Valley Tire" just because he always treated me well. Now he's gone and that shop is sold, so I've had to go elsewhere. Usually Cecil Tire now. (Used to be Howell's/JennyLube)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything lower than 40PSI in these tires (Goodyear Wrangler ST) feels like I'm steering with 2 feather pillows. After worn this set for several years, there is even tread wear with regular rotation and maintaining 40-44 PSI. I would like to know more of your thoughts on this since a set of AT rated is going on in a few months.

Wouldnt run those for more than a month. Bought my 04 new and had the stockers off and bigger/ better tires on within a month, nothing but cheap junk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My family bought off Red for years. I actually used to rent a house near his. He's good, but you've got to keep checking prices. I got tired of having to double-check him, and started buying off Bob at "Valley Tire" just because he always treated me well. Now he's gone and that shop is sold, so I've had to go elsewhere. Usually Cecil Tire now. (Used to be Howell's/JennyLube)

Red was a .....well wheeler / dealer, had to keep up with him or he'd get ya!:icon_lol:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always running the MAX pressure listed on the sidewall is ludicrous. Running at pressure listed on the door jamb is the perfect starting point for those who want to experiment for their own "perfect" combination of ride, response, and tire life. Only problem, most of us won't live long enough to form any meaningful data.:blah: Door jamb pressure will always be best choice for the average driver, average driving conditions, average tire service regimen.

But then, nobody "average" frequents this forum, do they? :gr_grin:

Bob

heavenbound

Reaction score
Something interesting I found in lowing the pressure: I lowered them all to 34psi with a handheld gauge. Got in the Jeep, and the sensors say they are all at 37, before even warming up.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets see, onboard pressure monitoring system = $1,000.00 + equipment system.
Handheld gauge = $1.98 made in China system.

Now which one should a fellow trust?????

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom and others swear by the Goodyear Duratracs. With 40+ years in the tire industry I'm almost ashamed I don't really have any experience with them. They're in the upper end of Goodyears products and I'm in the 68th poorest county(72 total) of the 48th poorest state (50 total unless you believe our President) so high end products are rather rare around here.

All the other Goodyear Wrangler products I've ever been exposed to come in dead last on vehicles that see any dirt/gravel country road service. I'll personally take the cheapest unknown Chinese WongFu tire over Wrangler A/S, Wrangler AT/S,Wrangler SR, Wrangler SR/A etc. Low end Firestone are slightly better.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Low end tires from any manufacturer are pretty much like running banana peels :shrug::icon_lol:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets see, onboard pressure monitoring system = $1,000.00 + equipment system.
Handheld gauge = $1.98 made in China system.

Now which one should a fellow trust?????

Bob
Altitude plays a major factor in TPMS sensor readings.

My $200 calibrated air gauge(for my altitude) will say 35psi while the TPMS will read 31psi on GM's all day at 6800'.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I run and what I can sell are seldom the same. Being in a small town one must judge each prospect when they walk in/call. If I think there's any chance I will try to upsell. BUT I'm gonna sell em what they are willing to buy.

My Silverado SS has FALKEN ST/Z05's on it. Second set and ready for the third. Each set has had approx 1/2-2/3 tread remaining at around 40,000 miles. Pull em and sell em as used tires while they still look good. I'm too experienced to run on the last 1/2 tread as hard as I run.

Liberty's on a set of pulloffs a customer left when purchasing new. LT245/75R16 Firestone A/T's. they'll hold it up till I get some other projects done and decide what I really want. Leaning toward 255/70R16 BFG M/T 8pr. Whatever I put on will go to some other soul at about 1/2 tread and I'll continue getting the best half.

Bob

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend the extra money to have mine filled with nitrous oxide...dreamy ride and I'm laughing all the way to the bank!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will never cheap out on tires. The safety of my family and myself is not worth being cheap. I never cheap out on mattresses or footwear either but I have always gotten good deals on everything because I do not wait until it is too late.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Altitude plays a major factor in TPMS sensor readings.

My $200 calibrated air gauge(for my altitude) will say 35psi while the TPMS will read 31psi on GM's all day at 6800'.

Aren't you just special!!:happy175: The guys with the $1.98 gauge will read somewhere in between 98% of the time. When ya get right down to it, temperature change when tires heat up creates a lot more variance. Do you get out and adjust after driving different distances at 36° versus 90°? :emotions34:,

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend the extra money to have mine filled with nitrous oxide...dreamy ride and I'm laughing all the way to the bank!

I put helium in mine, makes the Jeep feel like it's floating on air. Tires last 200k miles due to having very little weight on them, and I get pert near 100 mpg. :happy175:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will never cheap out on tires. The safety of my family and myself is not worth being cheap. I never cheap out on mattresses or footwear either but I have always gotten good deals on everything because I do not wait until it is too late.

Make sure you NEVER cheap out on these, or the family's liable to get a lot bigger!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Try and keep it clean alright,...........
don't need language or pictures like that for the kids to see
Yes some kids do look at these posts with their parents
Thanks