Timing chain question and one other

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skeeballhead

Reaction score
So, I am putting in a new radiator due to a pin hole leak. So have that out, going to do tensioner, water pump and stat as well. Also, gonna install new rack/pinion steering gear too by fishing it out the side. Anyway, it is an 02 Ltd with 3.7, 175k miles. My question; is it worth pulling front cover and replacing timing chains, tensioners, etc? There is no slap, etc and runs great. Just didn't know if it was worth dabbling that far or not. My buddy said he wouldn't mess with until it drops a valve seat, lol. Let me know some thoughts. Oh, previous owner changed front u-joints and looks like unhooked linkage of tx case shifter rail to shifter. Didn't know if there was a bushing you can get or something. Dealer said I would have to buy a new shifter at $300 plus.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of miles, but if it's not making noise, I'd probably leave it alone. Let sleeping dogs lay, and all that.

Chains are different from belts, and can last a really long time if you maintain the engine properly (frequent oil changes). They also tend to give warning in the form of slapping before they jump tooth and let go.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer case bushing

Use the search function to find out how to replace the transfer case bushing for under $2. A plastic bushing from Ace Hardware and a e clip to hold it on are all that's necessary.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mess with the chains. As nullptr said unless they start making a lot of noise there's no point messing with them. You're likely to hear other sounds (!) long before timing chain clatter :party52:

Yep - that $2 clip from Ace is your fix for the t-case linkage :waytogo:

Bob

skeeballhead

Reaction score
Thanks guys, just wanted some thoughts on it and I appreciate. Will try and find the post with fix for tx case.

Latest posts

Members online