Through Glass Antenna?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

webbyz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a Ham Radio Operator and I am looking to put another antenna on my 2006 Liberty Renegade. The issues that I have is that I already have an antenna lip mounted to my hood on the drivers side near the window. I would like to do something similar on the other side of the vehicle but the FM antenna is there and it will most likely interfere when I am transmitting.

So I was looking at Through Glass Antennas. But I heard that some auto makers use metal in the windows to tint them. This is also called "passivated glass". And if this is the case that the connection between the glass would be horriable and it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Does anyone know if this is the case with my Jeep? I would like to mount the through glass antenna on the Passenger side window of the cargo area. I just would like to know if I am going to have issues with this before I drop money on an antenna that I can't take back.

Any help would be apperciated. Thanks!
-Matt (Amateur Radio call W8EBB)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing not. The reason I guess not is because I've placed my GPS on the dash of various autos, and once in a while, the gps won't pick up any satellites, depending on the vehicle. My in-laws minivan was the worst. Windshield acted like a freakin faraday cage. And their windshield angle should have given me better coverage. Instead, all satellite signal strength would drop to 0. I've never had any trouble pickup up satellites in my jeep under the windscreen, so I have to assume they don't do that.

And I'm not sure it's the tinting that causes the problem but in-shield antennas they're now using.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only problem you'll have with that location is if you go wheeling thru lots of brush/trees it'll get batted around and maybe bent. I ran a dual-band antenna on the upper part of that window for three years before I finally went down and got a lip mount for another antenna I had hiding in storage. Now my dual-bander is mounted on the right side of the tailgate and still does a good job of getting out to the world.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on your question, but the performance of thru-glass antennas pales in comparison to others, and I would use as a last resort. I had one for my 2m back in the day... on my VW jetta. It stunk... even after I carefully adjusted it w/ SWR mtr, it didnt even begin to compare to 5/8 wave magmount. And this was in a vehicle w/o a stitch of tint on it anywhere........

-Blu

pipeliner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Export KJ's (at least in Australia) have the aerial for the AM/FM radio as a printed circuit (like the rear glass demister) on the RHS fixed rear side window - so I guess you shouldn't have any problems.

rallycom

Reaction score
Antenna

Real Hams Drill Holes!
2 - roof mounted NMO mounts (dual band on each), 1 - Ball mount right rear quarter (Hamsticks), KJ7U Screwdriver (160 meters thru 6 meters) mounted off spare tire.

IC-706 MKllg, and TM-D700A

Rich, N2ZKX

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a glass mount antenna. Its on my rear window. Its just average reception, nothing great or terrible. My chief uses one on his vehicle, and I can always hear him fine, and he gets pretty good reception.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rallycom do you have any pics of your install? Antennas and radios?

I'm think about installing a Yaesu FT-10SR under the seat with the remote head mounted infront of the shifter, and my CB on the right side, just not sure about antennas.

I'm thinking about leaving the mag mount wilson for the CB, just not sure what I want to do for the 2m/70cm.

Sorry for the threadjacking lol