This is weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin1977

Reaction score
A few days ago I was idling into my back driveway with my 2005 Libby CRD. My back driveway is for the most part unused during the winter months so it is covered in ice. As I made my way up the driveway I started to spin. I then put the transfer case to part-time 4WD, nothing, I then pulled it into full time 4WD and still nothing. I took my foot of the pedal, placed it into reverse, backed up slowly, and then the 4WD engauged. After the 4WD engauged the ABS light came on and would not go off indicating a malfunction. I made an appointment with my dealer and on the way to drop it off the ABS light went off. Before arriving at the dealership I found some ice to test it and it works. Two days later the check engine light came on and showed the code P0304. I again schelduled an appointment with the dealer. The day before taking the Libby to the dealer the check engine light went off by itself and everything seems to be working fine. I did however notice the engine hesitate/load up about a week before this light came on. When I checked the code it said that it could be a possible injector problem in the #4 cylinder. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is happening? Is their a little angel coming down from the sky and fixing my Libby at night when I am sleeping or what?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put it into 4wd, it takes it awhile to engage. some times its best to do it while rolling, put ****** into N then engage 4wd, put back into D, works everytime for me. use the same method going out of 4wd. Dont know about the engine light or abs. I know abs is turned off when in 4low, dont know if the light comes on to say its off or not, i dont have abs.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that our new technology sometimes outsmarts itself.

Jeeps seem to like changing 4WD modes on the go and in the models with ABS there is some computer interconnection. I would guess that you were not moving when you changed to part-time and that fooled both the 4WD and the ABS. It just took a while for the computer to sort it all out and decide there wasn't a problem after all.

On the check engine I would guess the same. In cold weather sometimes things don't work as effectively as a computer is programmed to think they should so they report a problem that clears itself when things warm up. My tire pressure sensor system is always wishing that my tires had more air in them when it drops below 20F but if I added it I would be soon over inflated to my taste, so I just turn the EVIC off or ignore it until I know the tires are warm.

Latest posts

Members online