Thinking of moving from XJ to KJ - my plans inside...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You have a CRD.

Dave

You forgot that there is a 3.7L KJ in my driveway which I drive often, and do you also not know about BuggyDaJeep? My previous 3.7L, 42RLE powered Jeep? :)

The "CRD" is still a Liberty. The body is the same. The difference is an engine and a few other random parts. It is NOT special.

Last edited:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
special in the sense that its a diesel and diesels always get better mileage then a regular v6 or v8 in these jeeps

2003KJ

Reaction score
And it has it's own special scent:p

Not to mention it gets thirsty for a special "drink"

As far as mileage, I get about 18 "around town" but the majority of my non highway driving is done on country back roads, so short distance driving isn't really a factor, which is the real killer in bad MPG in city conditions.

When I get it out on the highway, 21-22 isn't uncommon on mine. I can even take it to the mountains and climb up and down the mountains all day, with lots of gear changing (damn 42RLE), stop and go, and restarts, and STILL average 21-22 round trip (from the time I left my driveway in the morning to the time I pulled back in that night. I got the same results running it at about 75-80 with the A/C on a couple of years ago in 95-100* heat for 4 hours non stop to the beach......maybe i'm just the odd ball?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention it gets thirsty for a special "drink"

As far as mileage, I get about 18 "around town" but the majority of my non highway driving is done on country back roads, so short distance driving isn't really a factor, which is the real killer in bad MPG in city conditions.

When I get it out on the highway, 21-22 isn't uncommon on mine. ... (damn 42RLE), stop and go, and restarts, and STILL average 21-22 round trip...
I have the 45RFE, maybe that's the MPG difference for me?:confused:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imagine if it had a 6 speed A/T.

Dave

Well, a 6 speed would be sweet, but a ****** that was programmed better from the factory would be alot sweeter.. When I give it some gas to go UP a hill, it shouldnt shift into 4th and lower the rpms. idea.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a 6 speed would be sweet, but a ****** that was programmed better from the factory would be alot sweeter.. When I give it some gas to go UP a hill, it shouldnt shift into 4th and lower the rpms. idea.gif

That's strange behavor, it should downshift.

I noticed with mine when I get on curvy mountain roads where the perfect speed is 45-50 It is at a speed where the ****** wants to upshift and downshift between drive and overdrive so I just lock out O/D and then it just purrrs along and stays in drive.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's not THAT much difference b/w the 45 and the 42.....when was the last time you had a tune up?
Approximately 24 hours before I took my trip! New plugs, air filter, PCV valve, oil change, transmission service, t-case swap + service. I've been getting about 16-17 average MPG since the day we got it.

Since we are on the transmission subject, has anyone produced a chip that will allow the 45RFE to use it's "other 2nd gear" as just another gear in the progression of shifting...in other words, make it operate as the 5 speed it really is?

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the transmission subject, has anyone produced a chip that will allow the 45RFE to use it's "other 2nd gear" as just another gear in the progression of shifting...in other words, make it operate as the 5 speed it really is?

I knew the 45RFE was a heavier duty transmission that was also being used in some trucks, but I didn't know it had an extra 2nd gear in it. Interesting. I wonder if they were programming it different in the trucks than in the KJ.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I don't know if MOPAR has it running as a 5-speed in any vehicle, but it is a 5-speed transmission programmed to run as a 4-speed. the "the other 2nd gear" is used as the passing gear when you drop the throttle while at speed.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concerning mileage, my 05', 3.7, 2wd auto got 22-23 mpg @ 75-80 mph. My 06', 3.7, 4wd auto gets 21-22 mpg @ 75-80 mph. Altitude and regional fuel formulations can have a huge impact on mileage.

jdebler

Reaction score
Don't do it! Keep the XJ.

Heh...thanks, but if I wanted to keep the XJ, I wouldn't be posting here and meeting all you cool guys. :p It needs some work here and there that I don't feel like going through, and more importantly I just want something new and different. I had my XJ for 7 years, it is time for something fresh to play with.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concerning mileage, my 05', 3.7, 2wd auto got 22-23 mpg @ 75-80 mph. My 06', 3.7, 4wd auto gets 21-22 mpg @ 75-80 mph. Altitude and regional fuel formulations can have a huge impact on mileage.
1000 feet MSL, & I typically use non-oxygenated gasoline of 92 octane.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Welcome.

We've got a '04 with 84k on the clock.
At 55-65mph on the freeway, we manage 23-25mpg. Don't ask me why!
Of coarse when I mash the pedal to pass...Fuel economy? Whats that?
Jen and I have an assortment of gear accumulating that will be doing on
within the next few months.
But first a trip through the Rockies to visit the in-laws.

I say buy one,lift it,put yer tyres on and have fun!

Cheers

ry'