Thinking of buying a crd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my gf usto have a 02 sport until she needed better mpg, and i always liked it and thought they looked cool lifted ive been a jeep guy since my dad had his 87 cherokee that never got stuck. so i sold my silverado( in favor or better mpg) and i was thinking a libby cause l liked it, and its a jeep. but i do have to tow occastionally and dont like the gas mpg so i thought diesel. i found a couple in my area i guess after all that my question is what should i be looking for as far as things that may go wrong? im a mechanic but never on diesel, i know about the trans thing but what besides that is there to look for? ps the one im looking at has 55k on it and its an 05.. thanks in advance, sorry for the book.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not much to LOOK for.

The same things go wrong with dang near all of them...

EGR valves (Bypass available)
Transmission Torque Converters (Beefed up replacement available)
Filter Heads (Pretty sure someone has fixed this as well, sorry, can't remember exactly how, been a while...)

Fix those and you should have a several thousand mile Jeep.

Everything else is quite random and is a KJ-General issue.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I've been doing slot of searching the past few days I just wanted to check for any straight fwd frond I should look for. So are these like regular diesels where mileage doesn't really matter?

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of issues that are correctable.

First issue is the fuel management head - original was prone to develop air leaks and need constant priming. The design has been revised and many had it replaced under warranty. The new part number fixes the issue. I replaced mine early on with a RACOR which was std on the 2004 and earlier export models.

The Torque converter for both years was replaced under recall. At the same time they reflashed the TCM to change the shift points and reduce torque slightly. I don't notice the difference much but some owners were peeved by the reduction. There is at least one vendor that will reverse this for you. Fairly popular to replace the std TC with the model from the export Wrangler Diesel or the after market Suncoast TC

The lower ball joints were replaced on recall. popular upgrade is the Moog greasables.

Lots of owners had problems with EGR valves failing. mine was replaced under warranty then I fixed the issue permanently. An operating EGR will foul the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor, less now that we have low sulfer fuel. Inspection every once in a while is recommended.

Thats about it for what to look for.

Some other popular mods:
-Remove the muffler or replace with glasspack for less restrictive exhaust
-ECM programming - at least two companies will optimize engine operation for performance or fuel economy
-Lift pump - not strictly neccessary, but the injection pump ***** fuel from the tank through the fuel head. Most diesels using the CP3 injection pump have an intank lift pump to supply fuel at 3-4 psi instead of suction. Jeep contemplated a lift pump because the wiring, relay and fuse are already there, just the pump is missing.

Main differences between 2005 and 2006:
2005 have ABS with wheel sensors on front and a speed sensor on the rear diff
2006 have ABS on all 4 wheels - to faciliate Traction Control

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so most of it should have been fixed under recall already. Do they make a fass fuel lift pump for these like dodge and fords? Yea the first thing I planned to do was a 3 in turbo back. Yea Waukesha.

Members online

No members online now.