thermostat and coolant+dead forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick25crd

Reaction score
hi everybody.i 'm going to change the thermostad and i would like to make a silly question.have i also to change the coolant?
i need some help.
AND if you don't like this forum to be so dead keep posting with questions,answers,opinions,ideas,informations,experiences,....,ALL THE TIME....

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you HAVE to change the coolant if you are only changing the thermostat. If it's been in htere a long time though, it might not hurt to take the opportunity:)

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with changing the coolant if it's been more than 2 to 3 years. Mercedes has been using the same HOAT coolant in their diesels since the early 80's, and on my '87 300D they recommend changing it every 2 to 3 years as a normal service item.

FWIW, the 87 300D also uses the same brake fluid as the KJ CRD, and Mercedes recommends changing it and flushing the brake lines/calipers every 2 years because of it's affinity for water.

nick25crd

Reaction score
thank you everybody!!!!
here are the part numbers for 2.5 crd,2.8 crd 2002-2004:
mopar : 05072705AA/AB
vernet:w0125
vm:49012023G
fae: 5342980
behr:c88780

Last edited:

nick25crd

Reaction score
finally i replaced the thermostat i bought from vm motori(jnl engineering.uk) for
75€(incl.shipping) but it was a behr(#c88780) thing.also i replaced the coolant
with the draining-filling "method" with distilled water for 7 times.
now everything is o.k.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally i replaced the thermostat i bought from vm motori(jnl engineering.uk) for
75€(incl.shipping) but it was a behr(#c88780) thing.also i replaced the coolant
with the draining-filling "method" with distilled water for 7 times.
now everything is o.k.

Nick, what is this "draining-filling method with distilled water" method of which you speak?
I assume you flushed the system out a few times and then added distilled water with the correct amount of HOAT antifreeze and bled air out of the system or have I got things wrong here?:shrug:
I also have the 2.5 CRD and am thinking of renewing the coolant sometime, thermostat seems to be still working fine.