The real deal and the wannabee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Land Rovers... I've got no problems with either Jeep Wranglers, KJs, Grand Cherokees, Commanders, or Land Rover Defenders or earlier. However all other modern LR's are !@£*. Likewise other offroad brands.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purely to tackle the asian market in UK and europe I think, and a complete mistake.

They should've stuck to their guns like Jeep, well at least until this Compass muck came out. However LR was part of the rover group, and was knocked about by ford and bmw, and eventually Rover was sold to the Chinese (for £1 i think), and so it has ever-depleting funds, and builds desperately what they think the public will like, which is &"(@.

Watty

Reaction score
They once did an experiment to determine how air tight an LR seals with relation to a Pajero and Jeep, so they locked a cat in each over a weekend.

End of the weekend when they opened the doors of the vehicles the cat in the Jeep was dead - suffocated, the one in the Pajero was dizzy but fine, when they opened the doors of the LR - the cat was gone

And yes, we all did the same routes and obstacles. No problem! Did everything as good and even beter.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watty said:
They once did an experiment to determine how air tight an LR seals with relation to a Pajero and Jeep, so they locked a cat in each over a weekend.

End of the weekend when they opened the doors of the vehicles the cat in the Jeep was dead - suffocated, the one in the Pajero was dizzy but fine, when they opened the doors of the LR - the cat was gone

And yes, we all did the same routes and obstacles. No problem! Did everything as good and even beter.

Love that story, but that's exactly why Land Rover owners love them! You can add whatever you want to them and they still look good! They've got a basic rugged look similar to the wrangler, which are both classic designs!

Btw, It's also rumoured that from space, not only can you see the great wall of china, but also the space between the doors of a Land Rover...

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've offroaded in Landies (Defenders, discos and a bobtailed range rover) and if you could keep up with a defender in a stock KJ, the Landie driver was useless or wasn't pushing is 4x4.

I love my KJ and it is very capable, but it WON'T do what my Defender used to do. But that's ok because the Defender was very good road but seriously bad on road. The KJ is good both on and off road. The KJ is the best compromise I have come accross.

Ian

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kj lad said:
I've offroaded in Landies (Defenders, discos and a bobtailed range rover) and if you could keep up with a defender in a stock KJ, the Landie driver was useless or wasn't pushing is 4x4.

I love my KJ and it is very capable, but it WON'T do what my Defender used to do. But that's ok because the Defender was very good road but seriously bad on road. The KJ is good both on and off road. The KJ is the best compromise I have come accross.

Ian

Very true, but you can't really compare KJ and Defender. Completely different purposes. Wrangler=Defender; KJ=Freelander in terms of body structure and capabilities.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fouros said:
i will say KJ better than freelander

Definitely. Style, feeling, quality. All much better. Freelander's a disgrace to the proud Land Rover badge.