The Official KK gas mileage thread!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently posted quite a few posts in another thread regarding fuel mileage with the KK. We kinda hijacked the thread.:D

So, I decided why not start a thread where everybody can post the mileage they are getting with their KK. Maybe also post the type of driving you mainly do, such as town, highway, etc.

As a few of you know, I get pretty bad mileage with my 08. It has quite a few mods, which have added a good amount of weight, and I drive like a grandma most of the time.

Most of my driving is short trips around town. My 08 only had 5,080 miles on it now in 11 months of ownership. I average around 10.5-11 mpg around town, and my best yet, 16.5mpg on the freeway at 65mph.

My latest fill up came out to 13.96 mpg. That was 200.6 miles of driving, 14.36 gallons of fuel. About half of that was freeway, the other half around town, and a good bit of playing in the mud, running in 4 low.

TomasX

Reaction score
I am keeping statistics from the December 2007 when I got my 08KK 4x4 sport with skid plates and Firestone Destination AT 235/70-16.

So far I have traveled 41,616 miles with rather incredible average of 20.383 mpg.

My driving consists of:

Off-road - I am guessing between one and two thousand miles in deserts and mountains of Utah, California, Arizona and Colorado: 10-18mpg

City - shopping, work: 17-19mpg

Long distance - getting from where I live to where I like to be, this could very well be over half of my almost 42k: 22-24mpg, few times over 25mpg, best ever 25.5 recently going from Bishop, CA to Union City, CA over Monitor pass.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Just recently bought mine and only have about 2500 miles with her. If you look at my signature it has my average mpg for all the fill ups I have performed, the first tank was my worst with 16.xxmpgs and thats cause I wasn't accustomed to driving a SUV and a auto trans yet. I've grown accustomed now, also most of my driving is highway its about a 80/20 spilt highway/city ratio and Houston is flat as hell. Recently I drove up to San Antonio where its Hilly and my mpgs dropped to the 17's.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I signed up for fuelly and will continually track my mpg. What an easy to use, great program.

I entered the last two fill ups i had receipts for, and my stats so far are
(-1.2)
avg MPG

(-2.3)
last MPG

4/21/10
best MPG

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I signed up for fuelly and will continually track my mpg. What an easy to use, great program.

(-1.2)
avg MPG

(-2.3)
last MPG

4/21/10
best MPG

Agreed, very simple to use. For those of you who have a Iphone there is also an app called "Road Trip LE" its the free version of the "Road Trip" app It allows you to track it straight at the pump I also use that to keep track.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

(-1.2)
avg MPG

(-2.3)
last MPG

4/21/10
best MPG

Idaho, that doesn't seem so bad. Was this based on strict highway driving? Weren't you reporting like 10mpg city?

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These were my two latest fillups, and at least half of both were freeway driving.
I will generally get 10-11 mpg when I don't leave town, and just make 1-2 mile trips the whole tank.:(

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: wow! 11mpg with a 6 cylinder :eek:. is there alot of idiling or stop and go to get that? i have a 2010 and i am gettng 25-31mpg. TRUE this s STRICTLY highway driving and have never had it around the city enough to get a number. i also have a 05 that is averaging 25mpg (not as good as the '10). i have read some of the posts where people complain of the gas milage but i have had good uck with it. how many miles can ou get out of a tank?

note: niether are modded much and run pretty empty (not much cargo)

TomasX

Reaction score
:eek: wow! 11mpg with a 6 cylinder :eek:. is there alot of idiling or stop and go to get that? i have a 2010 and i am gettng 25-31mpg. TRUE this s STRICTLY highway driving and have never had it around the city enough to get a number. i also have a 05 that is averaging 25mpg (not as good as the '10). i have read some of the posts where people complain of the gas milage but i have had good uck with it. how many miles can ou get out of a tank?

note: niether are modded much and run pretty empty (not much cargo)

You have diesel engine, right?

lfotto

Reaction score
I get about 16 in suburbia, but on the highway, I usually get 24 mpg in my 2008.

Idahoan stuck in Syracuse.:(

t_bois

Reaction score
I have never gotten anything lower then 19 MPG. Gotta love that 6 SP.

Most of the time I get between 20 to 25 MPG. Closer to the 20 MPG in the winter running snow tire, while in summer (when I run the stock tires) I get closer to 25 MPH

My 19 MPG trac was from driving in deep wet snow for about 80 miles. 4 wheel drive will knock 2MPG right off the top, snows drop it another 1 - 2 MPGs.

dsmmrm

Reaction score
First post from a noob...

I get a consistent 21.5-22.5 overall in the summer and 20ish in the winter (Cleveland, OH winter, that is). My commute is 60 miles each way, about 80 percent highway. This makes up the bulk of the 60k miles on my '08 sport 4WD, auto trans. The rest is usually city but that is not a big percentage of my overall use. I have not had an opportunity to track city vs highway separately.

--
Dave
Silver 2008 KK Sport 4WD. All stock so far.
Vermilion, Ohio

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess some people are lucky to have good gas milage...another factor may be in the gearing...? seems alittle excisive but you never know. like i said, i have no mods on my '10 libby. strange that some are getting 12-17 and some are getting 21-31mpg.

talleybird_kk

Reaction score
I'm averaging about 19-21mpg...I drive ALOT. Alot of bumper-to-bumper and some freeway driving. My '08 has 37K on her now...not too dissappointed. When I drive home to Tennessee (from Dallas), I get 22-26. With all the extra weight (luggage, mods, child, camping gear) I don't think it's too bad....

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now at 5,300 miles on my KK, and I got my best mileage yet on my last fill up. All freeway at 65 mph, I got 17.2 mpg.

zoomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some math from gas receipts, 19 - 21mpg.

I love the reviews that compare this to the hondas and toyotas then they say, oh wait, can't pull 5000lbs, can't fit four big adults, not recommended for off road.......Those things cost resources and the main one is gas!

mcformica

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Sport with 17 inch tires and factory tow package. Purchased it in February.
I record details, on my iphone, of every tank of gas I put into it.

City Driving is 15-16 mpg - consistently. Has been every time till last week.

Last week, I drove from DC to Chattanooga following my wife in her Commander. Took us 12 hours (stopped a bunch with the kids for bathroom breaks, etc). I got 18 mpg on the first tank (1/2 tank was city driving locally, 1/2 was highway) and then 20 mpg the rest of the way down.

Today, driving back up, I set the cruise control on 70. I filed up in Abingdon, VA, averaging 23.4 mpg, and then made it from there to Harrisburg on 1/2 a tank. Filled up in Harrisburg and averaged 24 mpg. Took slightly over 1/4 tank to make it from Harrisonburg back to DC.

Members online

No members online now.