The $500 ScienceMobile build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have others brought in to me with same issues, someone installed ( a UGGGHHH spacer lift ) and ran brake lines around wrong way.
One was a local 4WD shop , razzed them for years. They even stopped doing KJ lifts and sent them to me since KJs were too hard to do they said LOL
I admit, I am pretty embarrassed...and it is ultimately going to cost me some bucks, BUT one can only learn if one makes mistakes.

Was just watching a youtuber whine about how much he hated his liberty off road saying it was a garbage vehicle that rubbed and was mushy...yet his previous video was his daystar install with 32s....LOL

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ok. I’m stumped year again. On they way to my mom and pop mechanic, the fanged abs system clears. Pops takes pity on me and gives the system one over. Checks out the brakes too.

He can’t find anything wrong. And, the brakes ain’t hanging up.

<bangs head on wall repeatedly >

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Still chasing the ABS gremlins. Got the lift finished after months of delays, laziness, stupidity on my part, and bad weather.

Next is finishing the snorkel installation, install the third window cabinets, and weld all custom armor. Figure I can get all that done by July 5th, eh?

Also many thanks to all yinze that taught me Jeep stuff and provided sage advice along the way.

Attachments

• 59DEE185-74F1-4274-BE1D-03D81F2E5460.jpeg
    59DEE185-74F1-4274-BE1D-03D81F2E5460.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 9
  • BE70B475-C950-402A-BE52-B3786944B2CE.jpeg
    BE70B475-C950-402A-BE52-B3786944B2CE.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 83B4C304-2A0F-492C-90E7-798F128B8BBA.jpeg
    83B4C304-2A0F-492C-90E7-798F128B8BBA.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 46616B1C-13E6-4217-BD29-6CDF2FB0047C.jpeg
    46616B1C-13E6-4217-BD29-6CDF2FB0047C.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 10377A86-AF72-43AC-9DF5-06A568701AFC.jpeg
    10377A86-AF72-43AC-9DF5-06A568701AFC.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 10

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A 4x4 build will never really be done
The 04 I bought new 17 years, 5 months ago and I still stand back and see things I want to do/change LOL
and that is after 5 lifts, 2 different sets of rock rails, 3 different roof racks, 3 different aftermarket front bumpers and 2 rear bumpers and on and on
So you get the above done by July and I bet you'll already have a longer list ha ha

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
A 4x4 build will never really be done
The 04 I bought new 17 years, 5 months ago and I still stand back and see things I want to do/change LOL
and that is after 5 lifts, 2 different sets of rock rails, 3 different roof racks, 3 different aftermarket front bumpers and 2 rear bumpers and on and on
So you get the above done by July and I bet you'll already have a longer list ha ha
Yeah, it’s like that with any automotive projects. Ton of things I want to get done by July, but at least it’s back to roadworthy now.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Dang. Still having front end issues. Popped the driver side swaybar link. Have a sneaking suspicion I scr.ewed something up when I put the front lift in, but I'll be darned if I have figured it out yet. Sometimes when I make a turn I get a "crunch grind" like the a caliper is hanging. Cannot find any reason for this to be happening and suspect it is directly linked to the swaybar link failure. Have some warm weather this week, so Bert Mk. 1 is parked before more damage happens.

Got the ABS gremlin dead though.

I also have a "gascap" alarm message that appeared just as suddenly as the fuel burp did a month or so back.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I am really enjoying my "finished" liberty. She runs like a dream and rides like a couch. I keep having to fight the urge to just drive over curbs and snow piles. Wifey thinks Bert now looks ridiculous compared to hers and refuses to be seen in it. Perfect!

Been practicing my beads and getting used to this new fangled auto darkening welding helmet. Made some spider webs to replace the front fenders on the VW (I'm switching it from SoCal sleeper look to Custom Hot Rod) Funny, i get a welding rig and all sorts of folks start asking if I can do work for them...Hmmm....

Of course, I still have many quality of life and utility mods to finish.
Still have a few bushings to upgrade/replace.
Want to install a hood light just in case I'm working in the dark some time.
Have to find and install a few amber flashers.
Been waiting for months to get the third window cabinets installed.
Relocate the radio antenna, install the CB antenna and fabricate a utility shelf for the dashboard.
Scavenging for the rest of the OE skid plates.
Have to replace my amp and find a better home for the subwoofers.
Need to get hood vents and an anti-glare square installed on the hood.
Lots of welding to do as I design and fabricate a Liberator front wincher, rock rails, roof rack, and perhaps a few long spikes on which I can mount the skulls of my enemies...

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your links for the parts you used in here, you've saved me some search time as I'm finally ready to start working on my liberty again. I've been mia on the forums for a good 6+ months, and its cool to see the transformation you've made to bert.

Wish those front extended bumpstops were still in stock though haha.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your links for the parts you used in here, you've saved me some search time as I'm finally ready to start working on my liberty again. I've been mia on the forums for a good 6+ months, and its cool to see the transformation you've made to bert.

Front extended bumpstops are still available
All you do is call Teraflex and buy them

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

You're welcome. Still got a bit to do, but winter got in the way. As Tom said the terraflex are available by phone. I went with the red ones strictly because of my color scheme. I’ll likely regret it, but have terraflex in the tool box for when they fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRB

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Flushed out the power steering this evening. Bitter frickin cold out side, but the paranoia was high. Will find out tomorrow if that helps the issue. Fluid was in bad shape. Had no clue what good vs bad looked like as have never played with it before. I checked it a few times in the past, abs it was dark colored. Oops. Should have asked months ago.

Then again I was drinking real heavy back then, so who knows what I was thinking.

Finally scored center caps for the wheels!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flushed out the power steering this evening. Bitter frickin cold out side, but the paranoia was high. Will find out tomorrow if that helps the issue. Fluid was in bad shape. Had no clue what good vs bad looked like as have never played with it before. I checked it a few times in the past, abs it was dark colored. Oops. Should have asked months ago.

Then again I was drinking real heavy back then, so who knows what I was thinking.

Finally scored center caps for the wheels!
Well, when it’s fresh you can see through it. In my other cars it always looked similar to transmission fluid.

Looking forward to pix of your cap install.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, when it’s fresh you can see through it. In my other cars it always looked similar to transmission fluid.

Looking forward to pix of your cap install.
That is due to it being transmission fluid ATF4 for the Libertys

Reactions: klc

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my replacement was a timken. I'll need to get it replaced again. hopefully i have the receipt lying around some where and or autozone still has it in the system.

Latest posts

Members online