The $500 ScienceMobile build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I guess I kinda remember you saying that earlier. I'm gonna go ahead and replace both. It was raining hard the other day when my window decided to start going down. When the front passenger went out it was -12°F and I had about 20 miles of freeway and highway to go. Doesn't seem like they fail when convenient.
Yep! The good news is, I have quickly learned that these vehicles are actually easier to wrench on than an VW bug.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Sometimes.
Confirmed this morning I have a bad driver side front axle. No big deal easy fix. I'm shocked at how easy. And because the low price of parts, I'm gonna go ahead and replace the wheel bearings too. Cost me 900 bucks and five days of work to do a complete rebuild on the bug front end a few years back.
And since the previous owners never took it in, turns out I'm getting some free rear LCAs, which were looking shaky anyway.

Downside is this delays the lift install a bit more. Started to put it in. Decided not a good idea to do myself without real time guidance (or paying someone to do it for me), so put things back together and worked on various other issues...which is how I discovered the axle issue. Still well within my planned budget, so all is well.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So interesting day…

it’s the end of the term so I don’t have much to do at the labs until students are done with finals…burn up some of that PTO and work on the Jeep!

waiting on tons of parts due in for tomorrow and a long weekend, but decided to pull a few wheels and continue busting rust…

and the UPS truck shows up just as I’m putting the driver front back on with the parts to fix the window regulator a day early!

so I get the window fixed, and decided to go get some burgers.

completely forgot to tighten the lugs…

turned the corner a block away and SNAP BANG ohhhhhhhhh feces…I thought a ball joint failed…

You must be registered for see images attach

so got really lucky. Only sheared one stud. Wheel bearing was on its last legs anyway, hence why I didn’t notice the noise.

look close, not a lug nut left. Had only a few turns on each.

total screwbie newbie fubar on my part. Embarrassing, but as a greasy knuckle buster, Imma own it.

gotta admit it is fun as heck to have to learn a new kind of wrenching.

also, good thing I bought roadside assistance! Sort of…
Truck that came didn’t have ball joint roller, and I was a bit shaken so assumed it was a ball joint, never noticed the important details even after taking a picture…

So the hook man and I jacked it up, pulled one lug from the other three wheels(spare not mounted right now), drove it onto the flat bed and hauled it home…then drove it in the driveway.

lesson here is A pay attention and B be really nice to your tow trucker. Cost me nothing, but instead of making wait longer, we agreed to make it work so I could get home without more risk and he could get on to his next Karen Call and make money.
I tipped him a hundo on a 40$ tow for such great service.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Doesn't seem like they fail when convenient.
Mine went out went I stopped at the trailhead of a mountain I was going out to hike on. I had only lowered the window to snap a picture of a deer hanging around. Then it wouldn't go up. I hiked anyway but spent the whole time wondering if my jeep was going to be looted. I had taped it up but the tape was pretty obvious.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went out went I stopped at the trailhead of a mountain I was going out to hike on. I had only lowered the window to snap a picture of a deer hanging around. Then it wouldn't go up. I hiked anyway but spent the whole time wondering if my jeep was going to be looted. I had taped it up but the tape was pretty obvious.
After typing my earlier comment I went ahead and pre-ordered the driver door regulator fix, which will complete the set. One less thing to worry about.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well gang, I worked late into the evening yesterday....and I am writing this post from my office at the labs....first day driving the junker without any mechanical issues!
It was really surreal for me to drive a vehicle that doesn't reek of gasoline and old engine oil that sounds like a cartoon lawnmower and threatens to collapse in on itself to become a flaming a singularity of old german steel. Campus safety was all over me as the new plates haven't shown up yet and the parking permit was removed since it wasn't mine. They couldn't believe this is the same sap and rust soaked junker I gingerly drove off the campus back to my Fortress of Squalitude a few weeks ago! (That really felt good- the previous owner was another staff member's child, hence why they were confused. We are a pretty small Uni and everyone knows everyone and their vehicles) It was also nice to drive the jeep without it sounding like I had a few cheerleaders in the back trying to kick their way free... ;)

Now that the bulk of the gross mechanical issues are repaired, I can finally focus on quality of life fixes and fully outfitting the beast for what is shaping up to be a truly epic 19 day excursion into the Great Basin and West Desert in July. By the time I get home today, new front wheel bearings, the repair parts for the window regulators, OEM steel wheels refurbished in black, rear window struts, stereo adapter, rear wiper motor, OEM jack set, new driver side seatbelt assemblies, wheel center caps (which I have to paint black), black lug nuts, power mirror switch, and a "mall rated" style stick figure family being dismembered by xenomorphs from the movie Aliens will have arrived for a long weekend of wrenching and cussing.

By Next Tuesday, I'll have only to get the tires I want and get the dang suspension lift in. The stock suspension is in surprisingly good shape, found out it is only 3 years old, however with the planned modifications, I have opted to replace the front suspension in it's entirety- Moog and Mopar where it belongs. I noticed a few things last night done by previous "mechanics" that don't sit well with me. I will spend more time going over the rear suspension this weekend. I noticed a few things I am completely unsure of and will post photos and more newbie questions, even though the rear suspension strangely enough reminds me of super beetle front suspension for some reason.

Hopefully I can spend my wrenching time fabricating the front bumper. I have the 1:1 scale cardboard and MDF mock up complete and ready to install and tweak before I tear the whole thing apart to use as templates to cut the steel and aluminum pieces. I have also started designs for a rear bumper. I discovered the free tail hitch jerry can rack I got has some design issues and it will have to be modified to fit properly. It doesn't clear the spare tire, so have to extend things a bit. I have decided I'm not going to bother fabbing a rear bumper at this time.

I looked at fabbing my own cross rails and roof basket (even though I really didn't want them), however I found some on Amazon that meet my needs and are better than what I could fab and cheaper than what my materials of choice would cost. Why the sudden flip-flop on roof racks? Well, math vs. life... With the back seats out and my nearly finished flatfloor in, I am around 2.5 inches too tall to lay down back there even at an angle. This is an issue as I had planned to use the Jeep as a backup shelter for inclement weather while in the field (high winds/hail/ ground to hard to properly pitch a tent, etc....
I hate rooftop and SUV tents- they look stupid to me, are all poorly designed and overpriced, and really screw you if you have to bug out in a hurry say due to a wildfire or flooding both of which are a very real hazards in the places I go (Some day I'll share the story of how I escaped a severe thunderstorm induced wildfire in a rental 2WD in the sandhills).
Soooooo....I have to re-think things a bit...however bits of origami involving sliding rails and repurposed rubber garage door weather stripping is banging around in my skull...combination camp kitchen/lab workspace and mini-camper that slides and unfolds to extend out when parked...hmmmmm

I also learned that the rear lower control arm recall (U38 / 18V-278 ) was never taken care of, so scheduled that with the local Jeep dealership. This being the main reason I am holding off on the lift kit yet again- I want them free LCAs since this is definitely a Salt Belt vehicle and they will often refuse to do recall work if it has been modified from what I read here and on other forums.

Ok...so I have had my morning pot of coffee and once again used this thread to get my plans laid out before I forget them. Time to get ready to yell at undergraduates, feed the critters, threaten the cantankerous GCMS with a very large "Universal Adjustment Tool", and hopefully get out of here early to do Jeep and VW stuff....gotta get that Bug ready to sell as my wife suddenly wants a KK instead of an Outback after driving the KJ and seeing how affordable they are to fix...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So yesterday:

Disassembled, adjusted, cleaned and rebuilt various bits in the swing gate. It now operates as it should.
Proactively replaced License Plate Light with an LED as the cops in my town are horrible people with nothing better to do than nit pick and gain weight.

Disassembled, cleaned and repaired all the interior trim panels on the doors. Got fancy with the epoxy putty and JB weld to repair and reinstall the two arm rests ripped out improperly by the previous owner. I thought old VWs got filthy...this thing was more like archaeology, with layers of gummy Starbucks residue, dust, dirt, and god knows what else. Ended up tearing everything down to parade rest and soaking it in dawn dish soap and hot water for an hour to loosen all the crud. Then followed up with microfiber scrubbing cloths.

Disassembled the dash and center console same as the doors. Troubleshot the power window switch. Cleaned every switch unit with 70% ethanol and cotton swabs to free them up from the same filth that was gumming up the door trim. Rang out all contacts and wires with my trusty Fluke. Everything is good save for one mirror motor and half the functions in the mirror control switch box. Strangely, I had a spare mopar mirror motor in my "too good to throw away" box from a mirror assembly I found along the road side walking home one day a few years back...there goes my dreams of an actuated turret for my Nerf Rhino pom-pom blaster....

Inspected the brakes in detail. Needs everything. Passenger rear caliper is definitely hanging, and the driver front is on its last legs. Ordered the full meal deal for everything. Relatively cheap fix in my opinion, but I HATE bleeding brakes...

Got bored with grease monkey work, so started the fun cosmetic work. Sorry, I have a thing for a black-red-white color scheme. Always have. So started that too.

Got under the hood and cleaned off the worst of the dead bugs, dirt, dust film, and frakkin' pine needles. Confirmed previous knuckleheads weren't using HOAT, so called scheduled the full fluids change I had planned and held off on. I doubt anything in it is the proper fluids except the engine oil, and that is getting changed anyway.

All that...and then ran to the corner store and the dang check engine light came on...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Just some photos from various things described above:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Today there is a big storm front moving in so I dare not try to start any work...otherwise it will wait to rain when I'm at a point I can't stop...

So I am re-designing my flat floor and potable water tanks.
I'll keep the tanks I already built as with modification, they will make a very nice solar shower. The waste tank is fine, but found some goodies to put together a 12V sink system for under 40 bucks, and the idea of a warm shower after days in the backcountry AND a small sink to make specimen processing/clean up easier is even better. Dumped using compressed air to pressurize tanks....a self priming pump is a far better option.

As for the flat floor, I am changing it around a bit to reflect the tank changes and designing a pull out counter top/ work space that integrates with the swing gate. This will allow me to incorporate the mini sink and provide a better work surface for my specimens and fossils. (I don't cook in or near the vehicle. In bear country this is just begging for disaster...I have had some really good laughs in the past watching the bears busting up some youtuber's "overlander" that never leaves pavement...)

Was gifted a very nice 10 day cooler for specimen storage AND ordered a 12V 6 quart mini cooler/warmer I can use to grow specimen cultures in the field. (it will chill down a six pack too...)

Ordered all the parts to convert my microscopes, centrifuge, and such over to 12V automotive.

Reexamining solar as I now know I have about 2 hours of juice without running the engine, and I really would hate to have to run this gas hog just to run equipment...or worse, a generator...but I'm OK with hauling batteries or even a portable battery pack. I can trickle with solar and full charge while driving.

Finally I am designing my safety light circuit. I personally have zero need for rally lights or light bars and the like. (however my wife insists I try to get the OEM renegade rally lights as she thinks they are cool...) I keep seeing these spare tire brake lights on all the mall rated Jeeps around town, and I keep thinking "Wouldn't it be wiser to have an amber ring hooked up to the four ways so the knuckleheads behind me are more likely to see me in dusty road conditions?". Might be better than a yellow strobe on a spare tire mount pillar methinks. I cannot count the times some wanna-be redneck in his 80k wrangler or stomper truck dang near rear ended me (or others) out in the Great Basin and Sandhills because he was too busy drinking/streaming/recording to slow down and pay attention when there was a dust storm or multiple vehicles traversing a slot pass or convoying down a decomp limestone road.

As part of this I am researching lighting upgrades, as the OEM 4 ways are pretty weak. Heck, 6V VW lights are brighter.

Still having trouble sourcing skid plates...strangely, mine had a gas tank plate in the cargo area, but none of the rest. I don't really want any of the fancy after market ones as they are overkill for my needs and out of my planned budget for this deathtrap. I will spend the bucks for the diff cages and such before the Utah/Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico trip in July.

Best part of today is the wifey liked the OEM steels I bought so much, she secretly bought me the tires I wanted. Was going to wait two weeks to get them, but I'm not gonna turn down "free" tires...though apparently I'm on the hook to find a liberty for her now too. (Rather she gets a Subaru, but then again...donor car?)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Your wife sounds like a great gal. :)
She is a horrible human being…but supports any project that gets me out of the house. (She’s also a closet Jeep nut, but would never admit it) we are of the age that back in high school everyone wanted either a Monte Carlo SS or a Wrangler.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey LabRat,

Just wanted to say thanks for popping in my front axle/housing confusion nightmare thread, and sharing some information.

I feel horrible with myself of trading my 03 nissan pickup to a small dealer and getting screwed with a liberty with a bad front end, it's motivating knowing someone else is going through this learning curve of a more niche vehicle.

Just wish I could of saved thousands for parts instead of giving it to them for profit hahaha! Either way I overpayed and didn't get even taken out to dinner before getting f....(friended lets say), that's in the past and I have to move forward and get it fixed!

Love the thread and updates, keep 'em coming.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hey LabRat,

Just wanted to say thanks for popping in my front axle/housing confusion nightmare thread, and sharing some information.

I feel horrible with myself of trading my 03 nissan pickup to a small dealer and getting screwed with a liberty with a bad front end, it's motivating knowing someone else is going through this learning curve of a more niche vehicle.

Just wish I could of saved thousands for parts instead of giving it to them for profit hahaha! Either way I overpayed and didn't get even taken out to dinner before getting f....(friended lets say), that's in the past and I have to move forward and get it fixed!

Love the thread and updates, keep 'em coming.
Oh, I hear you! I'm already missing my VW...and haven't even sold it yet. But as you have read, thus far, I'm actually pretty impressed with this jeep. Sure there are issues, but I knew there would be. I've been spending at least an hour everyday scouring forums and reading manuals...more when the weather is nasty...as the jeep is too tall to fit in my circa 1950 one car garage...and haven't lifted it yet!

This long weekend was kind of a bust as parts got delayed, or I NUBbed it up by ordering the wrong parts. However this week and next are crunch time. I'm going to have this beast expedition ready by June 12th come hell or high water. Need to do some test runs before I head out for a few weeks solo in Utah and Nevada.

As of today, I've decided the front wheel bearings, brakes all around, and the rear LCAs have priority. Once those are done, it's ready for road testing and some weekenders.
Following weeks the lift goes in, the new tires and wheels go on, and then an alignment and complete fluids flush and change...and there goes all the money I've saved up and worked overtime for!

Trip is paid for as I always schedule it right after annual bonus time. I got worms to find and fossils to dig!

Reactions: JRB

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So I got me one dem new fangled code reader thingies today....more out of curiosity than need, however since the check engine idiot light came on AND things are idling a little rough all of the sudden, I'm kind of looking forward to playing with it. I am fairly certain the issue is a result of old gasoline, given the vehicle sat for many months with a nearly full tank.

Got some interesting "new" noises to investigate...as I fix things it gets quieter and quieter.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So, took “Bert” on its maiden camping trip last night. Sure that rear LCA could go at any time, but I got a pair of iron rocks and the A arm strap o go with the rest of the lift kit.

my previous theory about bad gas proved true. Fresh tank of 87 and within 40 miles at freeway speeds the light went out and stayed out. Plugged in the reader- no codes historical or pending- of course this was about eight hours after I bought a full set of plugs…

got to download all my gear today and get back to it. Got surface prep to do to get ready for the bed liner coating going over the silly white fenders.

also gonna polish up the headlamps - they are pretty bad at night-

learned I hate the interior lights on these things- they are weak and yellow- gonna swap em for LEDs before July

also figured out my factory fog lamps are out…suspect bulbs…also want to slap the face of the knucklehead that designed the switch for them…bad design choices! Need to check plate light and backup lights…appears to be an intermittent short.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well there’s your problem…

apparently .040 was a very different number to whoever put these Champions in.
This pic shows them in the order they were in the engine. Front of vehicle is bottom of pic.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well, only three things left to do to make this project “done”:
Mount the new tires and wheels.
Rear lower control arms.
Lift kit.

Everything else is cosmetics or installation of equipment for field work and camping.

There is no way I’ll have the time to finish my custom bumpers before July, but those are a want more than a need.

Even the lift is something I can wait on. Don’t need that extra few inches of clearance and travel for BLM roads, but will need it for later in the season.

Really need the 19th to get here for those rear LCAs…passenger rear is ready to collapse.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Spent the morning troubleshooting the parking brake. Have had suspicions it was hanging up in one or both wheels. Looked fine when I did the rear brakes, but tore it all down and cleaned the frak out of the assemblies. Go figure…properly cleaned and lubed and the work just fine…

Also worked on cosmetics…

Latest posts

Members online