Terror in a CRD - Uncontrolled Accelleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have driven a CRD you get to understand that little kick you get when you first start up and the turbo kicks in. Tonight while leaving a stop sign it kicked in, and kicked in, and kicked in. Finallly I killed the ignition, let her coast while shifting into neutral, re-started then off we go again, Yikes! I got her over to the curb and shut her down once more and then started her up one more time and here we go one more time. The Libby has certainly lost her mind (just like a wife I once knew). Well, before I called the dealer I looked at the Mopar slush mat and by golly it was catching the throttle and holding it down.

So, how did this happen? I have a 2 year service contract on top of the extended warranty. I had the Libby serviced on Friday and when they service it they vacuum a little and wash it. Nice, unless they pull the mats then don't re-engage the drivers side in the little stud in the carpet that keeps it from creeping ahead and mashing the throttle. Good thing the traffic wasn't too heavy but the guy in the flashy Dodge Dakota that I burned off the line got a lesson in mixing with Libbys. \:D/

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(cool) (deadhorse) Get on it, get on it!! \:D/

Glad you didn't hit anybody and make a mess of your new Jeep!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible problem with the TPS? Throttle position sensor. I would have it looked at asap.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DougBenn said:
Possible problem with the TPS? Throttle position sensor. I would have it looked at asap.

he stated that it was from the slush floor mat getting stuck on the gas pedal. I have had the same thing happen in a few cars i have owned but not in my liberty.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem while paying at the exit of a parking garage. I had the Libby in drive with my foot on the brake. Next thing I new, the back tires were screeching, smoke was billowing, Libby was shaking, and the booth attendant was petrified. I slammed the ****** into neutral, and somehow it all stopped. At first I thought my size 11 was holding the brake and accelerator at the same time, but what I had done was kick the mat when I pivoted my foot to the brake pedal. When I ****** to slam the shifter I must have moved my foot again, and released the pressure from foot to mat to linkage. Scared the ^&^% out of me.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine (cleans cars for a living) was driving a beat-ass old Volvo the other day on the expressway. He accelerated to pass someone, and the car accelerated (slowly albeit) but as he crossed 110 km/h he let off the accelerator then 120km/h then 130km/h. He slammed it into neutral, engine screaming and shut it off (no power steering) as he coasted to the side of the road. Upon looking under the hood, he noticed the throttle cable linkage (on the throttle body) was all rusted to crap and was still in the wide-open position (mostly). He moved it back to closed and played with it a few times to make sure it was free of rust then returned the car to the dealer without further incident. He warned the dealer to have it looked at before letting a customer test-drive it. Hopefully it's not something I'll hear in the news! [-o<

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#-o Missed that part, I thought it was just a possibility, oops.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I have had similar issues in the distant past with other cars. That was typically my fault. The difference here, I think, is that if you have Mopar mats and you have them properly installed, don't assume that someone at the dealership or the local car wash is intelligent enough after removing them for cleaning to reinstall them correctly. I know that I will be.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DougBenn said:
#-o Missed that part, I thought it was just a possibility, oops.

Lol, I was thinking the torque was locking up like on alot of libbys. Then I read on and saw it was the mat.