Technical Q on '04 KJ headlights. Adding a headlight flasher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

precoislen

Reaction score
I run as an volly FF and am looking to add an HLF (headlight flasher/wig wags) to my '04 KJ Sport.

Spoke to the manufacturer of the flasher and they told me that it was okay to use one. The Jeep dealership on the other hand told me otherwise.

Anybody have thoughts, opinions, or experience otherwise?

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I've recently seen a lot of Liberty's with flashers doing mall duty. This has been in mall's that are about a hundred miles away.

Like I said, weird.

Each of the one's I've seen have a light bar on top and flashers around the headlight area that look stock. Or built-in, if you will.

I can ask one of these gals/guys the next time I see one about the MFR and take some pics; this should be Monday when I go back to Lafayette to replace a movie theatre projector lamp.

Let me know,
Tim

precoislen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Tim if you would, when you go back to Lafayette, talk to the security guys and see what they have to say. That is if you have time.

I greatly appreciate it.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in Lafayette this afternoon but got called back to New Orleans almost as soon as I got there and never had a chance to talk to anyone.

onebigbagostupid

Reaction score
hey

I live outside new orleans and at a local mall(esplenade) I could have sworn I spotted a jeep liberty security vehicle, I'm not sure whether it had flashers or not, but if it does, ill ask.

precoislen

Reaction score
Guys I appreciate it. I confirmed with the manufacturer of the flasher that this unit will indeed work with the '04 KJ's.

They are positive side switched, BTW......

My next big question is what color is the wire that supplies power to the high beam on the passenger side?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
precoislen said:
Guys I appreciate it. I confirmed with the manufacturer of the flasher that this unit will indeed work with the '04 KJ's.

My next big question is what color is the wire that supplies power to the high beam on the passenger side?

What is the manufacturer for these?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
precoislen said:

Looking at my '03 FSM, looks like the colors are as follows:
Left side:
Ground - Black
Low beam - Violet
Hi beam - Light green w/brown stripe

Right side:
Ground - Black w/white stripe
Low beam - Violet w/red stripe
Hi beam - Red w/orange stripe

Check yours and see if they look the same. As for running the flasher on the headlights, the dealership was probably concerned about potential problems with the BCM, not sure if it would be a big deal or not. I'm guessing your talking about the type of flasher that flashes the lights from low to high repeatedly?

precoislen

Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
Looking at my '03 FSM, looks like the colors are as follows:
Left side:
Ground - Black
Low beam - Violet
Hi beam - Light green w/brown stripe

Right side:
Ground - Black w/white stripe
Low beam - Violet w/red stripe
Hi beam - Red w/orange stripe

Check yours and see if they look the same. As for running the flasher on the headlights, the dealership was probably concerned about potential problems with the BCM, not sure if it would be a big deal or not. I'm guessing your talking about the type of flasher that flashes the lights from low to high repeatedly?

To answer the question above this one, and then on to Corwyn.

The manufacturer is Sound Off Signal.

Corwyn,

I'll try to check the wiring color schematic later on this evening and confirm.

This flasher will actually make the highbeam portion flash left to right, or alternate, at 3.0 fps. Same as you would see on normal "marked" police units.

Help educate me here. What is a BCM and why is it important? When I spoke to the tech at Sound Off Signal, I asked specific questions in regards to whether the unit (flasher) would affect any of my electronics or the computers in any way, and I was told they would not.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
precoislen said:
Help educate me here. What is a BCM and why is it important? When I spoke to the tech at Sound Off Signal, I asked specific questions in regards to whether the unit (flasher) would affect any of my electronics or the computers in any way, and I was told they would not.
First off, no rush on checking the wiring - I'm not planning on doing anything with mine (biggrin)

On to the BCM (body Control Module):
Both versions of the BCM utilize integrated
circuitry and information carried on the Programmable
Communications Interface (PCI) data bus network
along with many hard wired inputs to monitor
many sensor and switch inputs throughout the vehicle.
In response to those inputs, the internal circuitry
and programming of the BCM allow it to control and
integrate many electronic functions and features of
the vehicle through both hard wired outputs and the
transmission of electronic message outputs to other
electronic modules in the vehicle over the PCI data
bus <snip>

* Exterior Lamp Status - The BCM monitors
the status of the park lamp, low beam, high beam or
Daytime Running Lamp (DRL - Canada only), front
fog lamp (optional), and rear fog lamp (in required
markets only) relays.
* Exterior Lighting Control - The BCM provides
exterior lamp control for standard head and
park lamps, as well as Daytime Running Lamps
(DRL - Canada only), front fog lamps (optional), and
rear fog lamps (in required markets only). This
includes support for features including optical horn
(also known as flash-to-pass) and headlamp time
delay.

So the dealers concern may have been with the flasher causing the BCM to freak out with the repeated changes in the status of the headlights. If Sound Off Signal can verify that the unit has worked properly in other DC vehicles then I would say it won't be a big deal. Just remember that dealers tend to be very conservative about changes to vehicles. good luck!