tar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got into some tar last night on my ride home from work. I got most of it off before heading to work this afternoon. Will get the rest tomorrow. I'm thinking the bug and tar remover will strip the wax from this area. Am I thinking correctly? What are the recommendations of the clean car nuts? :p Any will be appreciated

2003KJ

Reaction score
The bug and tar removers are designed to NOT take the wax off, however i've found that most of them don't work worth a crap.

If you've got the time to put a GOOD coat of wax on, you can't go too wrong with 87 octane. I used it recently on a buddy's truck to get tar off that had been sitting on for about 8 months. Some 87 octane on a paper towel (in a well ventilated area and away from open flame of course) and it came right off. Did a thorough wash and wax afterwards and it still looks great to this day (about 6 months later).

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bug and tar removers are designed to NOT take the wax off, however i've found that most of them don't work worth a crap.

If you've got the time to put a GOOD coat of wax on, you can't go too wrong with 87 octane. I used it recently on a buddy's truck to get tar off that had been sitting on for about 8 months. Some 87 octane on a paper towel (in a well ventilated area and away from open flame of course) and it came right off. Did a thorough wash and wax afterwards and it still looks great to this day (about 6 months later).

I got some really bad tar spots on my Jeep also. Got a weird question...does that 87 octane have to be fresh. Drained some gas out of the snowblower from last season (about 1/4 gal), can I use that. :eek:

BNJ-KJ

Reaction score
wd-40 then a coat of wax works wonders to. That's what I use for the tough stuff. usually I just use the bug and tar spray and let it set for about 5 mins then wipe off.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. The bug and tar left some, I'm trying not to have to resort to gasoline or something of that nature. I guess will see how far the bug and tar and alot of elbow grease gets me tomorrow. I suppose I could put a quick coat of wax on the area affected just to be safe after I get it off.

Been trying to wait til spring to check out the clay bar everyone hears raves about and put a nice coat of wax on it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
One other thing I forgot to mention, which really seems to work wonders if you dont want to resort to gasoline......try armorall wipes. I dont mean the kind in the yellow container for the dash, i'm talking about the kind in the purple container that are used for cleaning the dash. Doesn't harm the paint/wax/clearcoat one bit and will take most of the tar and road guts right off.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I got some really bad tar spots on my Jeep also. Got a weird question...does that 87 octane have to be fresh. Drained some gas out of the snowblower from last season (about 1/4 gal), can I use that. :eek:

I used some that had been sitting in my gas container for about a year and it worked very well.......can get a nice buzz while you're at it...LOL :D (just kiddinig of course).

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use Crown Low Odor Mineral Spirits instead of gas or WD-40. Probably cheaper than gas now.lol Wax afterwards.

Members online

No members online now.