Tailgate Door Won't Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raekira

Reaction score
Somehow, my tailgate door will not open. I believe it's not unlocking. The window pops up just fine. When I pull the handle, there is no resistance, it moves like normal. There's also the normal noise like when you open any other door.
It just won't open. I've tried using the key fob to unlock, using both lock buttons in the front, trying to open it with the engine both on and off as a last ditch effort, and I've got nothing.
Any suggestions? I am not going to bother taking it to the shop just yet.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there something stuck in between the door and body that might be just holding it. If so then the proper application of force might be necessary

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you use the remote on the back gate can you hear the solenoid? If you can I bet the control rod retainer broke.

Last edited:

raekira

Reaction score
No keyhole in the door. Nothing trapped in the door either.
By solenoid, I think so. It sounds as if the door is being unlocked, it's just not unlocking. I'm sorry, I'm very familiar with technical terms. Is this anything I can fix myself?

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoid(which has wires attached) is an electro-mechanical actuator that pops your window open or unlocks your tailgate. You can hear it and feel it if you put your hand on the door near the handle. It probably has a actuating rod attached that unlocks your door. The external handle also has a steel rod attached to it that is retained by a plastic/nylon retaining clip. When you pull on the handle, it pulls on the rod and disengages the door latch. I'm not exactly sure but you probably will have to climb in the back, remove the inner door panel(my 06 has a access panel) and take a look around. See if you can pop the door with your hand and work on it with the door open.) The clip is usually yellow or white in color and grips the rod and a arm on the door lock.

raekira

Reaction score
So. I got the access panel open, and out fell a little clip with a grey plastic piece in it. The plastic seems to have snapped right off and took the clip with it. From my google search, it doesn't seem to look like a retaining clip. It's double sided, holding the little plastic bit in between.

Last edited:

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My flipper glass won't open unless I use the KeyFOB. Using the KeyFOB works perfectly. When I pull on the tailgate handle the tailgate opens but the flipperglass release does not. Therefore I can NOT reclose the flipper window. I have to hit the button on the KeyFOB to Unlock the flipper glass mechanism and then, and only then, will I be able to reclose the flipper glass. I took off the inside panel and looked around for dirt or broken retainers but found NOTHING. Also, one day I was showing a fellow wrench-head the problem and it worked fine. of course it only worked that day. Weird.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FOB makes it work perfectly so it must be in the control in the door. I'd check for continuity between the door and the window modules. FSM states the window lock unit is unserviceable.

rebelchick

Reaction score
Both mine work but the latch for the glass squeaks like crazy!!! I wrapped some electrical tape around the latch and it seems to have worked, but its still wearing grooves into the latch....