tailgate damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I while ago I backed into a sand hill when four-wheeling. It hit the spare tire and dented in the tailgate. I'm still debating on if I should get it fixed. It is not overly noticeable unless you know where to look or the lighting is right. I had to use a few washer to allow the tailgate to close with the spare.

I tried a few salvage yards and so far I am looking at 800 shipped for a tailgate assembly in my color. However I haven't tried a little negotiation yet.

I have no idea how much a body shop would cost to fix it. I don't think the tailgate can be fixed since it is pretty well dented around the carrier. I was wondering if anyone has had to have the tailgate replaced how much it ended up costing. Thanks

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gate

Check if just the skin of the gate is available, as opposed to the whole gate. A body shop may be able to tell you. This is a common practice in door repair, rather than replace the whole deal. Maybe there are interally damaged metal parts that can be removed and replaced as well.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know just the skin can be replaced. I though they where just complete piece either crimped on or spot welded on. Thanks for the tip, I will check into that. However, I assume the tailgate would still need to be painted.

Anyone have any idea on how much it would be to just paint the tailgate. A new primed tailgate goes for about 350. I can install it myself and switch over all the door handle, window catch, body panel, etc.