Synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cindy'sMan

Reaction score
What is the consensus on switching from reg oil to synthetic oil? Is there a problem with how many miles the engine has ran with reg oil? I have heard that switching to synthetic could cause leek problems...any truth?

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched from dino oil to Amsoil synthetic on my 1994 Cherokee. It had 175,000 miles on the od and now has 181 k miles w/ No leaks. Knock Knock on wood. =P~
Most syns are properly formulated to condition seals, keeping them pliable to prevent leakage. I wouldn't worry about it on a newer engine with modern style seals. On a much older vehicle you might see leakage though as the oil cleans the build up off of areas around seals and the seals have shrunk due to old age.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Synthetic is much better at protecting against sludge build up...which forms from overly excessive short distance driving..i.e. not letting the engine get to operating temp. before you shut it back off, thus not allowing the condensation that forms inside the engine to burn off with the increase in temp.

I've heard and read reports (mainly on XJ boards as i've been doing alot of research on them lately) of people switching over and having leaks....matter of fact happened to my neighbors son...switched his 4.0XJ over at 67K and developed a small rear main...nothin too big yet, and all the rear mains leak in the 4.0 anyways, so it was only a matter of time.

Synthetic also cleans out all the crap (sludge) thats formed, and alot of times that crap is whats holding seals together, so when the crap is cleaned out, the seals leak...but that just means your seals are shot and need to be replaced anyways.

On something as new as the KJ I really wouldnt be worried about a leak. I switched at around 25K or so and have had ZERO problems out of it and swear by it (Mobil 1 10W-30). Noticed a quieter, smoother running engine, and I believe it also played a part (combined with a good tune up and a change in brand of gas) to the increase in milage i've seen.

Go for it! You woulnt be sorry!

edit: I didn't read through JJ's post before i made mine...so i kinda repeated alot...my bad.

One other thing, if you do switch, make sure you run a good quality filter...gonna need something that does a good job of filtering the crap thats being cleaned out....I highly recommend Napa Gold...made by Wix, a very reputable brand of oil filters....runs about $6 and some change.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switched several years ago. New vehicles all get synthetic Mobile 1 at the first oil change. I also use K&N oil filters, ( I like the nut on them).

Theres an interesting story with WWII and P51 Mustangs that goes with this , but it's too much to type now.

Cindy'sMan

Reaction score
Post subject: Synthetic oil

Well my wifes is an 02 with 57000 on it. To many miles? Or do you guys think that the seals should hold?

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my '02 with 57000 over last month and have zero problems.

zkahn

Reaction score
I just heard the other day there is some strong benifits from using 1 qt synth and the rest reg. I haven't done any research into this but the service manager at my dealer suggested it. Might try it with the next oil change.

2003KJ

Reaction score
57K should be just fine.

I've always heard that you shouldnt mix synthetic with dino, nor keep switching back and forth....especially if you've run synthetic for a long time.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about mixing also but you can buy synthetic/dino blends in some major oil brands. So I asked a local trusted mechanic and he said to just use a full synthetic. It's just better all around.

As for changing at 75,000 miles you shouldn't have a problem.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Amsoil Vs. Mobil 1 test results.

Amsoil has independent lab results showing how Mobil 1 stacks up to Amsoil's 5W-30. It was tested against Mobil 1 Supersyn 5W-30. The results are posted below.

AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 ........................................ Mobil 1 Supersyn 5W-30

NOACK Volatility: 4.90%........................................ 9.17%

Four Ball Wear Test: 0.40 mm................................. 0.60 mm

Flash Point: 446 deg. F. ........................................... 435 deg. F.

Fire Point: 471 deg. F. ............................................. 455 deg. F.

Pour Point: -60 deg. F. ............................................ -54 deg. F.

Total Base Number: 12.35 ......................................... 8.45

I have similar results for many "high performance" synthetics for both autos and motorcycle oils. Bottom line is you just can't beat Amsoil!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Amsoil has independent lab results showing how Mobil 1 stacks up to Amsoil's 5W-30. It was tested against Mobil 1 Supersyn 5W-30. The results are posted below.

AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 ........................................ Mobil 1 Supersyn 5W-30

Flash Point: 446 deg. F. ........................................... 435 deg. F.

Fire Point: 471 deg. F. ............................................. 455 deg. F.

Pour Point: -60 deg. F. ............................................ -54 deg. F.

I have similar results for many "high performance" synthetics for both autos and motorcycle oils. Bottom line is you just can't beat Amsoil!
1994 XJ Sport, Blue w/ Stuff
Can I run to to Advanced Auto at 9pm and pick up Amsoil? And why does it have soil in it? Thought dirt was bad for motors.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running Mobil 1, 5w30 and change it after 6,000 miles.

You can get it anywhere even at wally mart which is open 24/7.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJsKJ said:

So with using Amsoil (their oil and their filter), are you changing your oil just once a year? They say 25k or once a year. The reason I use synthetics is so I don't have to change the oil every 3k. It keeps me out of the dealerships... lol.

My uncle used Amsoil in a Toyota he had. He drove that thing over 300k miles. It lasted longer then he did.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
JJsKJ said:

So with using Amsoil (their oil and their filter), are you changing your oil just once a year? They say 25k or once a year. The reason I use synthetics is so I don't have to change the oil every 3k. It keeps me out of the dealerships... lol.

My uncle used Amsoil in a Toyota he had. He drove that thing over 300k miles. It lasted longer then he did.

Is it safe to switch over to Amsoil after already running Synthetic Mobil 1? I don't know any reason why it wouldn't but I thought I would ask.

**EDIT** Woops, wanna move this conversation elsewhere? threadjacked.gif

Gopherbeats

Reaction score
I switched to Mobil 1 after 50k.. ... no problems.
Engine seems to work a couple hundred rpms less on the HW. I pull about 2k at around 70mph.. with 245/70/r16 BFG AT/KOs

not too bad...

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's some debate (that AMSOIL refutes stoutly) that AMSOIL may void your warranty coverage because it isn't SAE certified or something like that.

Mobil 1 is awesome stuff already, and is more readily accessible... why bother switching?

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a low mileage 2002 VW Jetta with the 2.0L 4-****** ... it was a notorious engine for "consuming" oil... full synthetic Mobil 1 aggrevated the oil consumption issue.. so I had to use a syn blend in that motor.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Can I run to to Advanced Auto at 9pm and pick up Amsoil? And why does it have soil in it? Thought dirt was bad for motors."

Thats some funy stuff right there! And No, you can't pick it up at Advance auto but you can order it 24/7 and have it delivered to your door in a couple days!

"So with using Amsoil (their oil and their filter), are you changing your oil just once a year? They say 25k or once a year. The reason I use synthetics is so I don't have to change the oil every 3k. It keeps me out of the dealerships."

YES! I am on a 15k mile change interval on 3 Jeeps and one Scion.

"Is it safe to switch over to Amsoil after already running Synthetic Mobil 1? I don't know any reason why it wouldn't but I thought I would ask."

ABSOLUTELY! No problem switching over and you will be better off for it too.

"There's some debate (that AMSOIL refutes stoutly) that AMSOIL may void your warranty coverage because it isn't SAE certified or something like that.

Mobil 1 is awesome stuff already, and is more readily accessible... why bother switching?"

Wrong! Using Amsoil has NEVER voided Any warranty and NO auto mfg has tried to refute Amsoils claims. If Mobil 1 is such awesome stuff then why doesn't it test as good as Amsoil? You can order Amsoil products online 24/7 and have them on your doorstep in a couple days. That sounds pretty accessible to me.

No matter what, Using a good quality synthetic is Way better than using dino oil on a 3K mile /3 month change interval.