SWMBO needs new tires...recommendations? Change spare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The Liberty has 20k miles on it now, and the tires are getting close to the wear bars. Rather than wait til the last minute, I might as well replace them now before the rainy season hits. Since she's short, we won't be lifting the Liberty anytime soon, but I do want to put slightly larger tires on there with a manly profile, since this is what I occasionally drive when I can't use the work truck.

I was looking at the Radial Long Trail T/A BFG in 245/75 16, but am open to suggestions. Must be either RWL or RWO, and good in the rain.

Also, the spare was never entered into rotation, so it's like new with minimal dry rot. I intend to leave it alone until it needs replacing, and have it as just a spare to use until the main tire is repaired (like a donut, really). I know since it's smaller, it'll not be a great spare, but due to two people on one income, I can save $150 by leaving it alone. Thoughts?

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
245/70R-16 will work with no lift,the 245/75/16 will rub when turning tight,hitting the right bump,etc. Would also consider getting "P" rated tires verse load range E or LT. More for weight of tire and ride quality.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The only problem with keeping the spare and getting larger/more aggressive tires is that you should not use tires of different sizes. Even in an emergency unless you are traveling a very short distance. Having said that, I did the same thing. Bought 4 new tires and left the old ST on the spare. :D (although my tires came with road side assistance)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Look at the Nitto Terra Grappler....mine did nice when I lived in FL. Quiet, and great wet traction. Guy that installed them had several sets, and loved them too.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We want something with RWL or RWO, the Nitto is just blackwall.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

Luke, I know it's not ideal to have a smaller spare, especially if it's on the rear, but if we have to use it, it'd be just long enough to get to the tire store for a repair...not as a long term thing. Kinda reminiscent of the donut spares some cars still come with.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We want something with RWL or RWO, the Nitto is just blackwall.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

Luke, I know it's not ideal to have a smaller spare, especially if it's on the rear, but if we have to use it, it'd be just long enough to get to the tire store for a repair...not as a long term thing. Kinda reminiscent of the donut spares some cars still come with.

It's off road where the smaller tire would be a problem!
Just sayin'

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am happy with my kevlar belted $ilent Armors (so is Luke I think)
Available in OWL.
Before the lift and spidertrax spacers, my 245-65-17 were rubbing a bit.
40497[/ATTACH]"]

I suppose in Florida you dont need snow flake rated tires ..Ha Ha..

Attachments

• GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    GoodYearSilentArmor1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars but with that being said the smallest size they offer is 245/75R16 and you will not be able to run them stock (I did it for a few weeks and I had to make like 6 point turns because of the rubbing.

but I have had great luck with Firestone Destination A/Ts, If you don't want to go A/T the Destination LEs are a great tire as well (I have those on my 4x2 Lib and they are great in the rain. Both are available in ROWL as well. Like already stated though 245/7
r16 is going to be the largest you are going to want to go stock.

JoBo

Reaction score
I put BFG's Long Trail T/A's in size 225/75R (stock size) on mine and I can tell you that SWMBO will really like the improved handling. They are good in the rain, smooth riding and quiet too. I bought 5 and rotate the spare too. But if you get the stock size then the spare will be ok as a spare.

Get rid of the oem good year's!

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had Hankook Dynapro ATM All terrain tires on
our KJ when we first bought it. We ran them for
three years until they were dead!
Mt dad has those on his JKL. He loves them and they seem very nice. I was looking at them or the Firestone Destination A/T. Both get high reviews.

I currently have Destination LE's and I love them for what they are (Highway All Season). They did well off-road, but they excell when using them as they are designed(which is 95% of my driving). I do want dome A/T's though.

Last edited: