Swapping interiors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tork

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the power seats of the 2002 can be swapped with the 2005? I'm specifically thinking about the new airbag sensor with the passenger seat and the airbag on-off switch on the grab handle on the dash. This was new for 2004 and 2005 but was not included on 02-03. Can anyone tell me if the sensor that detects the weight on the seat is built into the seat or the seat frame? I actually want to swap the entire interior of my 02 Limited to an 05 CRD Sport. I like the black interior and Jeep doesn't make it anymore. Plus I've got the power heated leather seats that I'd like to move over as well. Any thoughts on some of the difficulties I may be facing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Tork said:
Does anyone know if the power seats of the 2002 can be swapped with the 2005? I'm specifically thinking about the new airbag sensor with the passenger seat and the airbag on-off switch on the grab handle on the dash. This was new for 2004 and 2005 but was not included on 02-03. Can anyone tell me if the sensor that detects the weight on the seat is built into the seat or the seat frame? I actually want to swap the entire interior of my 02 Limited to an 05 CRD Sport. I like the black interior and Jeep doesn't make it anymore. Plus I've got the power heated leather seats that I'd like to move over as well. Any thoughts on some of the difficulties I may be facing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

No more black? Grr! #-o Well, that seals it... no '05 trading for me! (Like that was gonna happen. =D> )

Good luck if you decide to do this!!!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave-

I got your PM the other day, and didn't have time to respond to it right then, and I proceeded to forget about it until just now. I apologize for my oversight.

Tork said:
Power seats only come in the Renegade and the Limited, not the Sport, and the sports I've looked at only have the 4-pin with two wires under the seat. If this is the case, do you think it would be feasible to find some way to power the seats? Maybe splice into the power window wires? I may also take some of the wiring harness when I switch the seats and take the wires that I need with me.

You'll want to get a 4-wire connector for both drivers and passengers seats, and you'll need to find something to connect up the 12v+ wire to. I would not recommend pulling off the window circuit, as that circuit is only active when the vehicle is turned on. Adjusting the seats with the car off is a really good thing to have. As I noted in my seat installation blog, the factory power seats utilize a self-resetting circuit breaker. You'll likely want to put something similar inline, or at a minimium a fuse of the same value. Unfortunately, I cant really offer you much advice there. I would, by all means, grab a copy of the factory service manual so that you can familiarize yourself with the wiring diagrams that pertain to what you're doing.

Another thing to consider is I dont know (maybe you'd know better) if the seats are even the same between the 02-04s and the 05s.

If you dont want to go to the trouble of doing the power bit, you can (if the seats are the same dimensions/etc) remove the seat from the rails and attach to the existing ones. This would give you your old used-to-be-power seats in a manual configuration on the new vehicle.

Tork said:
Also, did you ever get the heated seats to work?
Nope. Havent put any effort into it, and likely won't until the tail end of this year. Maybe over the summer if I have nothing better to do.

Let me know if you need help with anything, I'll try and do what I can.

-Blu

Tork

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I did see the write up on the seat swap by Bluphant and thought it was a godsend. Very detailed and informative. I started looking at the possibilities on a whim but the writeup gave me the confidence to actually seriously consider the swap. I went to Jeep and they did not want to do it due to the liability issues of messing with the airbag wiring. However, they did give me a ph# to a place called Trim Fit. I went down there and the worst case scenario (where it would work) is they would take apart the seat and get the air sensor from the new seat and put it in the old seat. The seats are completely different with the redesign. They didn't seem to think that getting power or heat would be a problem. I still think the heat may have some issues with the BCM. Hopefully not because even in Phoenix, heated seats are nice (we are a bunch of wimps, 60 is cold!). The rest of the interior swap would be easy...take seats out, console out, all panels off, carpet out, wash and repeat, and reinstall. Tedious but easy (famous last words). I have until the CRD arrives on the 28th to make a decision on if I'm going to do this or not. If I do, I'll let everyone know how it went. Thanks again to everyone for your insights and help.

Dave