Swapped radiator and probably discharged a/c

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just swapped in a new Mopar radiator in my 03 KJ. It was a pain wrangling the original radiator out and dumb me loosened on of the a/c system bolts for like 2 seconds. Of course, it continued to hiss for several minutes or anytime I jiggled the a/c radiator.

Do I need to do anything besides get a recharge? Will testing my a/c by running it ruin something?

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and do you guys recommend a professional recharge or should I use a DIY kit? My a/c compressor, drier, and other parts are only 1.5 years old.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and do you guys recommend a professional recharge or should I use a DIY kit? My a/c compressor, drier, and other parts are only 1.5 years old.

No to the DYI kits go have it checked out by a pro, cost ya more in the long run when you screw it up.
So how did you happen to loosen the AC lines ??

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was loosening things trying to get the radiator out. After removing the bolts for the a/c radiator and trans cooler, the radiator was still tough to get out because I didn't realize you had to remove or at least loosen/maneuver the air dams.

I didn't look hard enough and thought I was removing a mounting bolt for the a/c lines, not the line itself. It was the bolt on the line that goes to the compressor with the black cap. I loosened like 2 threads when it started hissing like crazy. Tightened it immediately but it was too late. In addition to gas escaping there was a small amount (maybe 1/2 teaspoon) of green oil that came out as well. Oh well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was loosening things trying to get the radiator out. After removing the bolts for the a/c radiator and trans cooler, the radiator was still tough to get out because I didn't realize you had to remove or at least loosen/maneuver the air dams.

I didn't look hard enough and thought I was removing a mounting bolt for the a/c lines, not the line itself. It was the bolt on the line that goes to the compressor with the black cap. I loosened like 2 threads when it started hissing like crazy. Tightened it immediately but it was too late. In addition to gas escaping there was a small amount (maybe 1/2 teaspoon) of green oil that came out as well. Oh well.

Yep take it to a AC shop and let them redo it , best thing to do