Suction Cup Imprints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could not find where this question has been asked, so here goes.

While driving under certain light conditions and looking thru the rear view mirror I can see 2 round circles about 3" in diameter on the glass, I guessing they are on the exterior and that they were used to hold the glass during assembly. I have tried every type of glass cleaner to remove these marks and they just won't go away. Short of using a chemical does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks
Bob

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've tried most cleaners and they aren't coming off then it may be that they are on the inside surface. You might try looking at the outside surface with light from the side; if they are on the outside they should show in relief. It is also possible that they are remnants of the manufacturing process.

As far as cleaning, have you tried fine steel wool (like an SOS pad)? Not much that won't sucumb to that. Also, where are you seeing these circles? Are they near the top or somewhere else? May have to go check mine ot see if I can see anything similar.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The circles are on the outside I'm pretty sure, they are evenly spaced on each side of the push pad, I have seen similar devices use when handling large pieces of plate glass, sure it has to be part of the manufacturing process, it is just one of those annoying things, only seen when the lighting is just right, and always looking from inside out, a friend at a body shop recommended using BonAmi, may give that a try, also oing tio the dealer in the am for the transmission safety recall, will probably ask their recommendation or better yet ask them to clean it off

Bob

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never tried it, but I have heard of some friends using toothpaste to remove small scratches from their windshield.....plus the window will now have minty, fresh breath to boot.
Greg

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like someone else mentioned, i would try acetone, but before that i would use some de-natured alcohol. I work in a frame shop so i see a lot of glass...denatured alcohol usually gets just about everything off. If that doesn't work try the acetone...

Just my .02

-Savage-

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
using toothpaste to remove small scratches from their windshield

When I was in the Navy circa 58-63 toothpaste was used to remove scratches on aircraft canopies and gun turrets, it was in 55 gallon drums label not for human use, definitely did the trick, but took a lot of rubbing.

Bob

2003KJ

Reaction score
if you do go the steel whool route, get a pack of the #0000 steel whool ( you'll see what I mean when I get there). Thats the finest steel whool you can get. I believe a SOS pad is a bit too much.

I use the #0000 steel whool all the time on my exterior windows....works excellent in getting the deep down dirt and grime off, as well as bugs and such in the summer. All you have to do it take a piece, break it in half, dab some liquid dish soap (dawn, palmolive, whatever you have), wet the pad untill the water comes through the other side, and go outside and start scrubbing the exterior glass on your Jeep.....make sure the windows are wet before you start scrubbing and DO NOT USE IT ON THE SIDE MIRRORS....IT WILL SCRATCH THEM! I did the very first time and I can see some very faint scratch marks on there, when the sun shines at the proper angle. Once you're done, rinse off with the hose and youre all set!

I usually like to work with one side of the Jeep at a time. Do all the drivers side windows, rinse, move to the back, rinse, to the right side, rinse, and then hit the front and the headlights and fog lights, and then rinse.

As far as the inside glass goes, I use newspaper and the auto glass cleaners found in the auto detailing section of any store. I know you're thinking the news print will come off, and yes it will come off in your hands, but not on the glass. I've found that the news paper streaks far less than regular paper towels, and I don't use windex, as that only enhanced the problem. I also use this on the side mirrors now to clean them. Once you've got a used newspaper, take the part thats damp from the other windows, and wipe the radio face plate, rear view mirror, and the vanity mirrors, as well as the plastic cover over the instrument pannel.....you don't have to spray any cleaner on them, aslong as the newspaper is wet enough from other windows.

I'm not really THAT obsessed am I??????? (Aeh) :-#

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
I have to agree on the news paper....works great...

and yes you are that obssessed tim...
dont think i've ever cleaned my glass that much

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these ideas about newspaper. It's also good for something else...

...reading \:D/ (and training a dog!)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting info. Not sure if I would use the Bon Ami or Cerium Oxide on the inside of a tinted window, I'd try some on an inconspicuous area to see if it does anything to the tint before scratching anything else up.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
...reading \:D/ (and training a dog!)

How about bird cages,

I think my rings are gone, asked the dealer to look into it, I'm sure they did not use the TSB method, everytime I mention TSB to them I get the dumb stare,

Bob

Latest posts

Members online