Such nice people....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some honest answers from Edmunds, both quotes taken from reviews of Liberty and Grand Cherokee...

Edmunds speaking of '99 Grand Cherokee said:
However, approach and departure angles, as well as ground clearance, are similar to the Ford Explorer's numbers, so we are not overly impressed. The Grand Cherokee bills itself as "The Most Capable Sport Utility Ever," but we still wouldn't want to drive it too far off the beaten path.

The interior provides precious few handles for passengers to grab onto, so it's apparent that while the Grand Cherokee can negotiate the famed Rubicon Trail, it really shouldn't.

Edmunds speaking of '02 Liberty said:
At one point, we stopped the Liberty while straddling a ditch. The right rear wheel rested on a large boulder. The left front tire sat on solid ground. The left rear wheel was hanging with enough empty air under it to erect a tent. We had to jump from our seats, as it was a good 3 feet to the ground. Viewed from the rear, the fully stressed axles formed a big X. When we clambered aboard and drove off, there was no hesitation, and the Liberty carried us safely to pavement. It was an impressive, if not sensational, demonstration of the Liberty's off-road abilities.

Having driven the Jeep Wrangler (one of the world's most capable off-road vehicles) on some gnarly trails, we think the Liberty possesses every bit as much off-road acumen. Its exceptional crawling ability is due, in large part, to its 3.7-liter V6.

There are 9 Jeeps in my family...4 KJ's, 3 XJ's, and 2 WJ's. Guess which two don't see ANY offroad....

...the WJ's.

I like Grand Cherokees, I really do...I'll admit that my girlfriend's is a little roomier than my Liberty, and it rides smoother. but it has less power, doesn't handle as well, and gets worse gas milage, even with the 4.0. Her mom has the other, a V-8 Limited, and complains of horrable gas milage with it. My girlfriend's has also been more unreliable than mine. It has under 30k miles on it and has been to the dealer twice since she bought it last September, and the check engine light comes on at least once a week.

I find it humorous that the posters over there complain about the Liberties IFS and 3.7L, I guess they forgot that the '05+ GC comes with those too...and poorer approach and departure angles also come standard with the GC.

Bottom line is, buy what you want to buy, would I like a Grand Cherokee....yeah, I would, if it was a V-8 with Quadra Drive...and even then I probably would be more reluctant to take it where I would more readily take the Liberty....for the same reasons Edmunds wouldn't.

Oh, and one of them also made a comment of the 3.7L being a good minivan engine...unfortunately, the 3.7L has not been used in a minivan to my knowledge...I think he was mistaken on the 3.8L V-6 in the Dodge Caravan, which is actually the same engine used in the new Wrangler...exhibiting identical displacement, bore/stroke measurements, and compression as the Caravan engine...who has the minivan engine?

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster;311381.. I would never let the ****** shift on its own..[/quote said:
I would........I'm shiftless.........

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to post the above over on JU for the morons' reading pleasure...

don't bother....it's a Jeep thing and they wouldn't understand.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Don't bother... leave JU alone. Let them float around in their own sea of ignorance.

The 3.7L has always been referred to as a "minivan engine" because of its torque curve and "high" RPM peak torque and horsepower.

Nothing, and I repeat NOTHING satisfies them.

Oh and for future reference: The 3.8L was first placed in cars... THEN in minivans. :)

Last edited:

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing that bugs me most about it is that the guy was asking av alid question. I have toa gree with their answer to some extent too. Problem is that as soon as "liberty" is typed, they start bashing.

Yeah, an Escape Hybrid is a more economical vehicle. True statement.

Leave it at that. don't turn the thread into a liberty bashing thread because a Liberty wqs mentioned in the title.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeepster....wow, I just realized there has been 51 posts on this thread. Everyone here got all riled up I guess.

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it must be the heat. Everyone's tempers seem to be a little quicker over here (including my own lol).

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is just stupid...every time I see things like that, it reminds me of high school days of immaturity. I mean come on, grow up a little bit. I've been a member of a lot of forums over the years, with every car I've ever owned, and it's the same everywhere...and what I've come to find out, the people you see talking the most crap on other people's cars are generally those who know the least amount of facts, as well as have the least amount of experience and know how. Instead of actually learning the facts or getting out there and finding out the truth, they'll sit and "bench race" all day long in front of their keyboards while toggling back and forth between their cardomain page and a singles dating website....what a joke. Losers...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Heh, high school immaturity. Wanna know something amazing? Some people never grow out of that BS. I know plenty of them...

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is just stupid...every time I see things like that, it reminds me of high school days of immaturity. I mean come on, grow up a little bit. I've been a member of a lot of forums over the years, with every car I've ever owned, and it's the same everywhere...and what I've come to find out, the people you see talking the most crap on other people's cars are generally those who know the least amount of facts, as well as have the least amount of experience and know how. Instead of actually learning the facts or getting out there and finding out the truth, they'll sit and "bench race" all day long in front of their keyboards while toggling back and forth between their cardomain page and a singles dating website....what a joke. Losers...

LOL. All that I am picturing right now is the Warcraft episode of South Park.