Subwoofer Box, Work in progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Designed to fit under the front seats, with an 8" pioneer shallow mount sub in each... refuse to waste precious cargo space.
Would have done more, but waiting for the liquid nail to dry... Reinforced inside and outside joints with liquid nail... still need to trim a little, joint the top edge and install the top... will be carpeting same color as interior... more pictures as I finish more...

You must be registered for see images attach

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see these done. They fit under the front seats? They look huge compared to that table in the picture.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie digs it!

Which direction are they going though? It looks as though they won't fit under the seats width-wise

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they go front to back, the skinnier part towards the front to following the contour of the hump under the seats.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually a REALLY small table... the thinner end that is offset from the bottom as noticed in picture 2 is the front... the height is 5.5... the bottom width at it's widest is 9 in the rear, and 7 in the front... top width is 11.5 in the rear and 8.5 in the front... length is 19.5... angles are all cut at 30 degrees... subwoofer cutout dimension is 7.25, mounting depth is 2.5 less .75 for material... bottom inch of subwoofer also tapers off... subwoofer will be a close fit, but WILL fit... further note; sensor boxes under passenger seat need to be relocated to top of mounting bracket to allow room for subwoofer to play... subwoofer boxes are designed to be installed with seat removed FROM outside seat brackets as well as REMOVING inside seat brackets... pictures will be taken once I get to that point... Oh, and yes I am making these myself. Built me a rear cargo shelf, and decided to use the extra material on these boxes, that I designed about a month ago... Rear shelf won't be carpeted until I finish these boxes, then I'll do it all at once. I'll see if there are any glitches within the plans once I have finished, and will adjust/rebuilt to correct... once everything is perfect... I'll give dimensions and layout for any who are interested! Any more questions... feel free to ask!

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
So where are you mounting your amp(s)?

Following this with great interest because ThunderbirdJunkie would like to get his gigantic 10" box out of his cargo area.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have already removed the jack from under the rear seat... Pull the cover off of the bottom of the rear seat... weld two steel flat bars across the outside seat frames same distance apart as the mounting points on the amplifier. and attach the amps to these with bolts threaded from bottom of amplifier (or top of steel flat bar) with a nut on the other end to prevent screws from digging into seats... available space from bottom of seat to front cross bracing is approximately 4in (with seats folded down and full weight on top) the amplifier I am using mounts 2 and 7/8in in depth (also pioneer)... I'll take some pictures, to give you a better idea... but it's dark right now. I will be using two separate amps for each subwoofer, only for profile reasons and for fit under rear seats... subwoofers run 120rms, 500peak... just enough to feel it nothing obnoxious... I mean seriously: it's UNDER the seat... lol

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha. ThunderbirdJunkie currently has his ancient Sony 7117 mounted under the driver side back seat. Has 300w RMS on the subwoofer channel, so it should be pretty decent for driving a pair of good 8"s

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just test fit the box before continuing... box was actually able to slide right in from the rear without removing the seat (nice plus!) Seat belt sensor bracket has to be bent upward for clearance... front end of box is 3/4" longer than desired, and height of box is about 1/4" inch taller than desired... should be very easy to modify and correct... height of box is no big deal because it still needed to be jointed and leveled out...

Last edited:
Reaction score
im not trying to knock your idea or anything, but what the heck is an 8 inch sub for? the door speakers are 6.5's right??

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I am curious to know what a pair of 8’s would sound like too. I want to beef up my 03 sports tunes, but don’t want to give up any cargo area. I don’t want big booming rap style bass, I listen to mostly heavy metal, and just want it to sound tight, punchy and loud in the truck. I don’t care if people out side the truck can hear it, nor do I want that crazy loose screw rattle noise, like I hear from the rap kids with the p.o.s. rat civics, where the stereo is worth 10 times more than the car. I love the idea of stuffing them under the front seats too. Not sure if you could build a box big enough for a 10 inch woofers cubic inch requirements for under the seats. I would love to hear reviews from other 8 inch woofer people out there.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 inch subs are usually tight n punchy sounding. they will shurely out perform the stock door speakers. dont let the small size fool ya....:)

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda was thinking about putting an amp under one of the back seats, and fabbing up a box for the cargo area to go against the back of the seats, 2 towers of 3 speakers each (8"sub, 5" mids, 1" highs) with a compartment in the middle for a game system and a 26" LCD....PERFECT for tailgating/partying. The mod will be removable for when i want to Off road or load stuff up but, and shouldnt be too expensive, except the gear of course....anyone know what the thinnest wood for the box face would be? (to allow bending styles)

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the frequencies you get from a subwoofer, are much lower than that of a speaker... they do not play high notes, the response is very different to that of a speaker...

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truliberty... You typically can't take a thin piece of wood and bend it around, AND still be strong enough to support the internal pressure from the subwoofer... your best bet is to build the whole box out of mdf, and then fiberglass the face as desired.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that two 8's under the seats will sound great. I have 2 soundstream 8's under mine and I couldn't be happier. I used to have a 10" kicker in the back and the 2 8's outperform the Kicker by a long shot! I have a false floor (a really short box) in my cargo area for the amps. Then I have the mopar cargo mat over that. It is hard to tell it is there if you don't know what to look for. The false floor is a few inches tall and takes up the entire cargo area. My back seats still fold down fine and the false floor actually makes the whole area more level since the seats don't truly fold flat.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and you can bend wood. I've bent 1/2" marine plywood for sub enclosures before. You put a concrete block under the center, weight on each end and then put a little bit of water on it. Do this over several days and it will bend very nicely, be very strong in the end, and marine plywood is acceptable for subwoofers. You can bend it, you just can't get real intricate with it. I highly recommend you take shadowed's advice and do it in fiberglass.