Custom Front Bumper

Discussion in 'Fabrication' started by Apex, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Apex

Apex Full Access Member

Okay, I finally have something worth posting some pics of. It's not finished yet but I got a few coats of paint on the done parts. The steel plate is 3/16" I'm waiting on my tax return to get some LED turn signal/markers to replace those chunky factory units. Next I'm going to make some brackets and mount a bull bar/brush guard, then I'm adding my front integrated skid. Later on I'll open up the bumper to the left and right of the ball hitch mounts and install some 3" fog lights. Maybe eventually I'll be cool enough to own a winch too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to Durangotang for pioneering this idea. I also used the Backbone winch mount as inspiration. I wanted to expand upon what he discovered with the ball hitch mounts and see if I could build a viable recovery setup. By looking at pic #3 you'll see the two vertical and two horizontal bolts holding the unit to the unibody. Drilling these holes was probably the sketchiest part as there are a lot of vulnerable parts in the area. I used a piece of .5" steel bar to fit between the ball hitch mounts and hold the horizontal bolts, making the two units into one. Ironically a TJ winch plate made for the factory bumper has about the perfect span length to fit on top of the ball mounts as well, and already has the correct spacing. I was given an old brush guard for a '80s ford something-or-other, so I chopped it up and used it for the skid plate framing. I still have a lot of reinforcing to do, and some more plate work in addition to light pods but I'll get there.

2. Myke

Myke Full Access Member

Wait did you make this? I really like the look of it. Will it be able to hold a winch? Anyone with experience know if it looks safe or sketch in terms of the strength?

3. Apex

Apex Full Access Member

It'll be overengineered when I'm done. Better than underengineered I'd say.

Yes I built it.

It will hold a winch. (TJ winch plate from Quadratec in pic 3 of first post)

One 5/8" class 8 bolt will damn near lift the KJ off the ground from an engineering standpoint, I have two 5/8" class 8s running vertically through the unibody and into the ball hitch mounts just behind the grill in the tow hook recesses. I chose the rearward tow hook mounting hole on each side for alignment. It's not a perfect shot so I used a die grinder to wallow it out top and bottom to match. After I got the ball hitch mounts installed I welded them together with a steel bar as one piece for strength on the outside so I can still take off the bumper. Then I drilled two holes all the way through the unibody bumper and ran 1/2" class 8s through them.

When all is completed this bumper will do the job and then some.

I'll try and get a weight on the completed product as well, and of course more pics.

4. Myke

Myke Full Access Member

Any plans to sell these?

5. Apex

Apex Full Access Member

I completely forgot that I never posted pics of the (mostly) finished product. By mostly finished, I mean I haven’t finished the front skid or added my winch. Got a few small welds to finish as well, grinding, etc.... License plate is off center because it’s just bolted in one of the fairlead mount holes lol. I also wanted to add that the main wing sections are built from 1/8” plate, not 3/16”. I still have to unbolt it and add some gussets on the inside as well, but I’ll get to it eventually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    JasonJ, profdlp and turblediesel like this.
  6. duderz7

duderz7 Full Access Member

Looks pretty darn good!

7. Apex

Apex Full Access Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I tried to upload more pics but I keep getting the red X in place of them.

8. Apex

Apex Full Access Member

Fixed the photo issue, file size too big. I uploaded a teaser pic for my current project a few posts back, feels nice to have all that plastic gone.

9. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

I like that a lot, EXCEPT for the two angled light pods per side.. to me, that looks weird as hell. I would have just done two of the 4-light pods, straight, like the one straight one you already have in there.

Those are probably your new turn signals, yeah?

10. Apex

Apex Full Access Member

Yea, the straight ones on each side are the turn signals, the two angled ones on each side are the marker lights and share a circuit with the small corner ones.

When the marker lights are turned off, all three of the lights in the pods under the headlights illuminate when using turn signal. With marker lights on, the straight ones alternate with the two angled and small corner lights. I can try to make a GIF or something.

Fog lights used factory H10 connectors, all I had to do was make brackets inside the bumper.

profdlp likes this.