Stuck in 4 part time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was tooling around in 4 full time, due to the 18 inches of snow we got this weekend. By this afternoon, most had melted, roads were clear, etc. so I wanted to shift back to 2wd. No dice. I shift the lever all the way down to the 2wd position, but the "part time" light stays on, and I can feel the wheels bind when I turn. I tried to back it up to full time, no dice either. Wheels still bind in turns. Have tried forward-reverse-forwarding it, nothing. Do I have any options besides having it flat-bed towed to a garage?

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know where the linkage is/what it looks like/how to tell if something's wrong

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Try putting transfer case in N ,transmission also. you probably just have it all bound up from driving so long in 4wheel.
The linkage can be seen between the front driveshaft and the transfercase,just a cable going to a little lever.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check tire pressures make sure they are the same, then get it rolling shift trans to neutral and while still rolling forward try shift the transfer case to 2HI.

I used my 4HI the other day, Part Time, and when i dropped it back to 2HI it still felt sluggish turning so i got up to about 5mph and shifted the trans to neutral and then shifted the transfer case from 2HI to 4HI and then back to 2HI and then i felt the change in steering right away as it was out of 4wd.

I've used it a few times now since i got the KJ and this was the first time that i used it for an extended period, about 5 miles through snow and slick snow packed roads out in the country, sure made a difference getting around without much sliding around. I figure it was the same as ridenby suggested, it was the first time i used it for a while so it took a little more to get it shifted back.

Still a heck of a lot easier then the GM's i have owned in the past... LOL

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brother-in-law came over (he's had a series of TJ's), shifted into 4lo, back+forth a few times, was able to shift back to 2wd. The light on the dash still says 4part time, but it is clearly in 2wd. Guess I need someone to look at the various sensors involved.

R

RoyalDudeness

Sometimes for the dude it stays in partime till dude hits a bump or puts it in reverse for a sec. I get some slight whining noise when it is in four wheel mode so I know when it is in and when it does not come out. I used it saturday evening and put it back to two wheel and I could still hear the whine till I hit a pothole and it stopped so it released.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When going from 4 FT or 4HI to 2WD I always do it while going in reverse. Always works.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Selectors

Your truck has to come out of part time!

Might I suggest on a loose surface if you can, but anywhere will do:
for a short distance load and unload your drivetrain by "blipping" the throttle.
That is accelerate for a bit relatively hard then fully back off.
A couple of times might see you right (like driving 50 yards or so).
Work (cycle) the selectors (as you would nromally do when driving) again whilst doing this.

So acclerate, then back off and at the same time whilst the geartrain is unloaded, move the lever, positively, with no hesitation and being quite assertive about where you want it to go.

Maybe try going up to full time, then dropping back to part time then 2wd.

Wud love to know what you do that works from this and the other excellent suggestions you are getting.

Possibly you may need to tap the brakes too (to unload the system more) after you have accelerated.

I hope I've explained this adequately.
Good luck
Auberon

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Update: Took the car to a dealership, in case it was covered under my 7/70 warranty (still have 3k left to go until 70k), it wasn't. $308 later, they replaced a "switch" that was broken. Haven't tried shifting into and out of 4 full time, 4 part time, and 2wd yet. I'll wait until we at least get some rain so if it DOES get stuck again, I won't blow up the T-case driving it back to the mechanic!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Final Update: Took the car to a dealership, in case it was covered under my 7/70 warranty (still have 3k left to go until 70k), it wasn't. $308 later, they replaced a "switch" that was broken. Haven't tried shifting into and out of 4 full time, 4 part time, and 2wd yet. I'll wait until we at least get some rain so if it DOES get stuck again, I won't blow up the T-case driving it back to the mechanic!

Go to the dealer ship try the transfer case out on their lot,308 would get a replacement transfercase.