Strut Spacer Thickness VS Actual Height Gain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snow-Balls

Reaction score
Hi all. New member, first post.
I've been doing a ton of reading tonight trying to get an answer to this question.

I've got a 2006 Liberty Renegade that I've taken over from my wife. The first thing I noticed was how bad the ride was getting. Fender measurements are 18" front, 18 3/4" rear. Time for new springs and shocks.

I figured I might as well lift it a bit while I was at it. I'm no off-roader, but I live in the country in the snow belt and a little bit of ground clearance would be handy. I've got new factory assembled Coil-Overs coming for the front and extended "Sky Jacker Soft Ride" shocks and coils for the back that claim 2 1/2" of lift.

My question is, assuming I do actually get 2 1/2" of lift in the back, how thick would my "Over the Strut" spacer have to be to level out my lift at 2 1/2"? I instinctively want to say 2 1/2", but I'm positive I read somewhere that there's more math involved than that.

I apologize if this has been covered a bunch already, but please help the new guy out.

Thanks,
Tony

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets back up some here and have you explain what you are really getting .
You posted I've got new factory assembled Coil-Overscoming??? From where? Jeep, another manufacturer ??
Also Skyjacker ?? send em back ................
Not to be an a** but if you want a good ride/ good handling and a lift that last several 1000s of miles theres better ways to go about it/ or you're not explaining what you are really getting.
We can't tell you what to do without fully knowing what you ordered / have

IF you are getting from the factory they would not be preassembled plus the fact NO WAY can you add a clevis and top plate and get 2.5 inches of lift.
Back up/ read what works and what doesn't / ask questions then order the right parts

Last edited:

Snow-Balls

Reaction score
Well the Coil-Overs just arrived. They're some off shore brand from Prime Choice in Ottawa. I know they're from China, but they carry a life time warranty and were very reasonable priced and are the exact dimensions of the Jeep assemblies. I don't mind giving them a shot to see how they perform.

The rear end parts I haven't ordered yet, but have been reading that the Soft Ride line from Skyjacker were pretty smooth on the road. They advertise a 2 1/2" lift which is why I'm wondering about the front. I need to order/make an over the top type spacer to bring it up, but don't know what thickness to get.

After all the research I've been doing I realize that spacer kits are not optimal and that most prefer OME or Ironman full coil kits, but there's just no way I can spend that kind of money on this thing. These type of parts get quite expensive to get to Canada. I figured a good compromise was extended coils and shocks for the rear and a factory length strut for the front with a spacer that didn't require disassembly of the assembly.

I see there are full spacer kits out there advertising 2"-3" lift so I figured those front spacers must be out there. I just needed to know the thickness.

I don't really need 2 1/2". I'd be more than happy with an extra inch or so. I just can't seem to find anything around here that would work for me.

I really appreciate the help and could use any advice you can offer.

Snow-Balls

Reaction score
Just some more info while I'm at it. This Liberty has around 85,000 miles on it with all factory suspension parts. I'm looking to improve on road bump absorption and have never takin it off-roading. (I have a RZR for that kind of fun) I'm a millwright by trade with access to a fully equipped machine shop. Fabricating is what I do for a living so making a part for this project would be my preferred route.

I've put off the order on the Skyjacker parts. Some like them some hate them. It's all getting a little confusing. I was all set to go with the Rancho RS5248 rear shocks until I read that they were really stiff. The Skyjacker Hydros were suppose to be softer and I can get them here in Ontario. Shock and coil suggestions would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with skyjacker is the spring rate of the coil is that of the stock coils which I believe is 310lbs so you will get lift for about a couple months and then the springs will sag back down to stock hight. This is why most stay away from skyjacker products for the KJ. Also I think what Tom is getting at is, if you raise the rear 2.5 inches there is now way you will match that infront with a strut spacer and clevis spacer it just wont equate to the hight your looking for. If you want a proper good riding lift, weather it be on road or off road get a full spring lift and new shocks. 4 coils and 4 shocks can be had for under $750 and installing it yourself is a good way to get to know your Jeep a little better. Most of all tho, do what you think you should do and not what anyone else says, its your Jeep and you will be the one driving it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What you have in your mind will only create a really fudged up mess. Ride will be poor, it will wear front end parts faster than you can replace them etc.
You are talking about installing a " OTT or over the top " type spacer lift . They are well known to create issues. You have two choices, stay stock height and just replace with stock type springs and shocks -OR- do it right with a full spring lift which will get you a better ride/ better handling and last double or triple what stock parts do.
Not being a jerk, just lots of experience and watching others over the last ten years try what you are wanting to do and failing

Snow-Balls

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all of this info guys. I really had no idea that these spacers were such a problem with the KJ. I think the cheapest OME kit I've found would cost me around $1200 by the time I add the shipping, the cross border fees and 13% tax. More after I pay a shop to assemble the front Coil-Overs. Kind of out of my league and not at all what I thought I might be getting into.
I'll look into that site from Montreal Gyro, thanks man.
At this point, I guess I'll just replace the parts I have with fresh new parts because the last thing that I want to do is take a Jeep that been great for my wife and ruin it. Man, I'd never hear the end of that one!
Thanks for the info guys. You just saved me a ton of head-aches and maybe my marriage...

I'm going to search around a bit tonight for good rear shocks and coils, stock length of course. Any recommendations?

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could always do a clevis lift and a top plate up front for a bit of lift. 3/8" clevis, and jba sells a 1/4" top plate. Gets about 1.25" or so of lift on the front. Idk what shipping would be for a top plate though. You could probably have a custom one fab'ed up though.

Of course, none of that would help with your ride.

Snow-Balls

Reaction score
Could always do a clevis lift and a top plate up front for a bit of lift. 3/8" clevis, and jba sells a 1/4" top plate. Gets about 1.25" or so of lift on the front. Idk what shipping would be for a top plate though. You could probably have a custom one fab'ed up though.

Of course, none of that would help with your ride.

After having a better look under the front end, I see that the lower mount has already been pulled out of the clevis around 1/4" or so. At some point someone must have tried a little levelling already.

That does answer my original question though. You say a 3/8" clevis lift and 1/4" top plate would net me around 1-1/4" of total lift. (3/8"+1/4"=5/8") So I guess the answer is I'll get around double what I put in. At the very least I'll use this info to help me with levelling things out once I finish installing all new the parts. Thanks very much Bmxer. The info given to me by the other guys saved me a tremendous nightmare, I'm sure, but this info is great!
Thanks again to all of you!

GranpaQB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME springs and shocks can be had from ARB Canada/Oiupack in Montreal.
OUIPACK ARBCANADA Quality 4x4 accessories
I got my springs about this time last year for $167.99 a set x2 = $335.98 +shipping and taxes,no border fees.

Gyro
I got my Ironman springs from Cruisin Offroad in BC for $132.00 a set and $75.00 shipping plus taxes, no border fees. Look and you will find.