strut spacer or top plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought a lift kit from a member on the forum here
it comes with a strut spacer (like a conduit nut) or i have an aluminum top plate. is on preferred over the other for any reason?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it comes with a strut spacer (like a conduit nut) or i have an aluminum top plate. is on preferred over the other for any reason?

Well you can use one or the other. Or both! for more lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

What kit did you get? What size is the clevis spacer?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased an ironman kit
it is also coming with
3/8 clevis ring
extra rear isolator
and hockey pucks for rear bumpstops

sounds like all i need are front bumpstops (teraflex is the only one right?)
and i am set to go

just wondering if there is a preference on the strut ring or top plate

i plan to run 245 75 16 or 255 70 16

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to run 245 75 16 well, i'd put in both. Your going to need atleast 22 inches wheel center to fender to fit after alignment without a lot of rubbing.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1/4" top plate and 1/4" clevis and I clear everything (pinch weld and inner fenders) by a good inch and am sitting at just a hair over 21-3/4" now (21.85" to be exact). I'd be willing to bet if you ran the 3/8" clevis spacer you'd be fine, or just have very minimal rubbing on the inner fender.

What wheels are you running? I'm running the stock 16" wheels and the only rubbing I get is at full lock turning on the sway bar. If you have a different backspacing, you could have more or less rubbing

I seem to remember reading that a top plate is preferred, but I can't tell you why. Maybe because it's easier to install the top plate while you're installing the lift, where installing a clevis is a little less involved (but not much really). Once you get it stripped down to the point you can install the clevis rings it's only another 4 bolts to remove the entire assembly for the top plate installation...

Last edited:

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, the Ironman kit will get you about 2.25". 245/75-16s will clear with that much lift. Preferably, you want 2.5" to accommodate all tread patterns etc. Add the 1/4" top plate, and you have 2.75" of lift. Plenty for the tires. You can then add the 3/8" clevis to get about 3.25" of lift.

HOWEVER, after you go about 3" or so you will need a-arms. Were those included?

If not, I'd add the top plate. Then if you decide to get a-arms at a later point you can add the clevis lift for more height. I suggest this route just because it's easier to add a clevis lift than it is to drop the whole spring assembly and add a top plate.

For the rear, I'm not sure exactly how ironman springs sit. I'm assuming close to OME. If that's the case, 1 rear iso per side will put you pretty level with only the clevis or top plate. If you do both, you should add 2 extra per side. Make sure you add them to the top.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no a-arms so i will likely use one or the other and one rear iso.
i had the top plates made for free at work, not knowing i would end up with a lift that came with strut rings too