Strut Dissasembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone put up specific instructions on how the struts are disassembled?

assume that the clevis has been loosened and the 4 top plate nuts are removed.. i have the strut assembly in my hands..

which parts do i xfer to the new strut assembly for an ome lift?

also if i get the BDS kit that comes with a different top plate do i need to even disassemble the old strut?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If using the OME springs then just break it down ( compress springs, remove top nut, washers etc) and install new springs/ shocks pretty simple Just removing 2 items and replacing wih new
If BDS same thing only replace stock plate with supplied BDS plate, yes you need to use the isolators from the stock setup so you have to compress the stock setup
Not really anything to explain really

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple if you've watched someone do it - however with the Warning - the amount of energy stored in the spring - can cause a lot of damage if you use a compressor improperly and it slips - you can break things and people. If there's any question - it's worth the $40-50 to take the strut assembly to a shop and have them swap pieces and reassemble.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes didn't mean that it was easy and simple to compress the springs,
more meant that once you look at the assembly its easy to see what needs to be reused and what you remove.
You learn to "respect" coil springs;)

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
lol my respect is just this side of fear...

i was just thinking that with the BDS kit that includes a new top plate that it may just be safer to NOT disassemble the stock setup at all... just build the new from the new strut, spring, top plate..

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u will need to disassemble with BDS or any other as u need to reuse the top and bottom isolators

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Put the assembled shock/strut assembly in a bench vice, use an air impact to remove the nut on the top of the assembly very rapidly, and then run like hell.*

*do not follow advice in bold

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the assembled shock/strut assembly in a bench vice, use an air impact to remove the nut on the top of the assembly very rapidly, and then run like hell.*

*do not follow advice in bold

Actually not that bad.
Did my install last weekend and realized that my loan-a-tool strut compressor would not fit between the old coils. but would fit between the OME coils.
So i spun the nut off with an impact gun and proceeded. no huge drama, just stayed parallell with it,not at either end,strut jumped out,maybe two feet.no biggie. wouldnt suggest it, but, had to keep moving forward.
Still eventually had to go pay a garage sunday morning to assemble new struts, because once i got the top plate on,now i couldnt get the tool out from between the new coils.